In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gobble Gobble

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
season opens in the morning. i've been out a couple evenings this week and i think i've got them located pretty good. they are hanging out basically in the same hollow every evening.

but

i have a problem.

its going to be raining.

does anyone have any tips for turkey hunting in the rain? it seems like every time i've hunted in the rain i never hear them call.

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi I have a very good question for all ytou bow huntin turkey hunters.
    What is the best shot on a tom?
    I have read articles about the arrow stickin in the turkey is best but I have heard guys talk and say that when it goes straight through is better.

So which is it?
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    ya want to pass and arrow through the vitals. if you have the shot try to shoot through the wings breakin them and hitting the vitals. or hope for the best and wait for them under your stand and bury them shooting the aarow through them and pinning them to the ground

"Every time I hear the words animal and rights in the same sentence, I'm going out and killing 20 of something" - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    making contact with those jumpy birds is hard enough. But, yeah, if you shoot through both wings that'll keep 'em from flying, which they are prone to do for fairly long distances.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've shot them through the back from an elevated positions (banks and trees). Shot 1 or two through the breast (not good idea). Plus I had one that I arrowed through the base of the neck. (i was proud of that one at 19 yards)...

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard that when they're in strut you can place an aroow right through the middle of the tail and kill the bird...is this true?
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    I heard that when they're in strut you can place an aroow right through the middle of the tail and kill the bird...is this true?

I imagine it would be effective. I would worry about the arrow hitting the breast from inside to outside though. All ya gotsta eat on them things is the breast (for the most part anyway)

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    heres a site with turkey for bows
    http://www.arrow-dynamic-solutions.com/VIDEO PAGE.htm

watch this video its kool

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On turkey 3d targets, I think they show the kill zone right where the wing attches to the body. Better use a good blind when bow hunting turkeys, it's pretty hard to draw on them.

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com