In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

how to get started

earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
What do you need to start bow hunting for deer?

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    A bow [:D]

just teasing. If your just starting out then don't get to many so many so called nesasities or else you'll end up losing interest.
    1. Do you have a bow & arrows, and are you confident in using it?
    2. Get yourself some cheap camo's
    3. Find some nice land to hunt
    4. Scout the area and figure out how the deer are traveling
    5. Build or buy a tree stand, situate it downwind of where you feel the deer will be.
    6. Before you go hunting take a shower in baking soda to get rid of your human scent. Might be a good idea to invest in a bottle or two of scent killer and cover scent to.
    7. Try not to make much noise going in to your stand, don't move around, and sit there for long periods of time.
    8. Don't hold out for the BIG ONE, shoot the first decent size doe that presents a good shot.
    This is the cheapiest, easiest way I know to get started. You can invest a lot into any sport/hobby, just look through cabelas archery catalog, but all that stuff isn't needed to start out. You'll end up buying a lot of it though, after you get hooked.

Most of all have fun everytime, don't let it get boring or seem like work.

There are a lot of good bowhunters on here with a lot of knowledge so ask anything you want to know and someone will get the correct answer to you. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • NebraskabowhunterNebraskabowhunter Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the addiction lol. I was just introduced to bowhunting last year through a friend and am now hooked. Your best bet would be to find a pro shop and talk with them, or an experienced bowhunter if you know one. That's the reason it took me so long to give bowhunting a try, I really didn't know anyone that did it and although I was an avid hunter, bowhunting intimidated me a little because I knew very little about it.

I would find a reputable pro shop and tell them that your interested in getting into bowhunting and they can point you in the right direction. You don't need the top of the line to start with, I actually spent a little more than you should. But go ahead and get set up with the basics and see if you enjoy it first before you invest any real money into it. A $150 bow will harvest a deer just as well as a $500 bow.

Most of all get out in the outdoors and enjoy it. I didn't harvest a deer last year due to some newbie mistakes but I enjoyed it none the less. In my opinion, the comraderie (might not be spelled right) between bowhunters is different than the average rifle and shotgun hunters. I have yet to meet a fellow bowhunter who isn't willing to help you with any questions you might have, and who will share his experience with you. Hope this helps ya out.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yer right about being an addiction[:D]. I still get all adrenalized when a deer steps into view. The day I don't they can put dirt over me cuz i'm dead.

Only the strong survive!!!!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Yer right about being an addiction[:D]. I still get all adrenalized when a deer steps into view. The day I don't they can put dirt over me cuz i'm dead.

Nebraskabowhunter and I talked about that to. Is there anyone on here that doesn't feel the "rush" when a deers in your lane? Or should I say when there are horns in your lane? [;)][:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Every year when season comes around I am the most excited man on the planet. I get all of my gear ready. I start shooting my bow again even though I'm still sure of my dead-eye status[;)]. I spend at least a couple of hours going through Cabelas seeing what else I "need", then I blow all of my Cabelas Bucks on cover scents. I scout my woods for weeks only to set up in one of the 3 trees I've hunted for years. Then when all of the preparations have finally been made, I get out my warm weather camo and make my way into the woods. I hike off the road, through the briars, up and down hills, across the creek, and finally climb my tree. I ask myself what in the hell I'm doing out in this god-forsaken heat as I unbutton all of my clothing. Then, I listen to the life of the woods and it all makes sense. And when I see that first deer of the season, I don't care if it is a fawn or a P&Y class buck, I don't think that I could be any more impressed with life. And so begins the season.....
    edited November -1
    Damn Ben, you got the start to a first class hunting article there. Felt like I was reading something from Jim Shockey! [:)]

If you get published I want dibs on the free hunts[;)]

edited November -1
    I got so excited after readin bens I went shed huntin. [:D] Found nothing but lordy did I enjoy myself.

edited November -1
    taco I hope Ben doesn't think we're making fun of him, I was serious.
    I saw a fork horn Sunday that still had one side on. Thought that was a bit strange for the end of March.

edited November -1
    Me to suspension, believe me ben we're not pokin fun at ya, I do just about everything you said . I myself hardly pick up my bow til a few weeks before season, once the rust is gone off me I put it up til opening morning. Besides it's a good addiction, not like booze, drugs or women[:D] Oh ben, where ya at in illinois, i'm from georgetown. Already told ya where in so. il I grew up at.

edited November -1
    Hey guys, a little good-natured ribbing will never bother me[;)]. In fact, it's expected. I'm a lot of things, but I'm not up-tight. So don't be sorry.
    Taco, I can't believe that you grouped booze, drugs, & women together!!!
    You should know that booze and drugs are much safer and less addictive than women.
    Suspension, Jim Shockey??? Try H.D. Thoreau. Couldn't you almost feel the streams of sweat soaking your eyebrows when you read my post?

Anyway, I live in Mattoon, Il. I hunt in Olney/Wendelin, Illinois.

Later guys,
    Ben
    edited November -1
    Ah ain't it the truth with women[;)] I do most of my bow huntin in vermillion county on about 500 acres of private land, but do my shotgun in jefferson county where my family has land. Next time I head towards Mt. Vernon i'll let ya know. Maybe we can get a bite to eat on my way down or back.

edited November -1
    sounds like fun. just let me know when...Might even be able to squeeze in some fishing[:D].
    edited November -1
    quote:Suspension, Jim Shockey??? Try H.D. Thoreau. Couldn't you almost feel the streams of sweat soaking your eyebrows when you read my post?

I had sweat running down my brow and burning my eyes. I could even feel my release finger twitching. [:D]
    Don't know Jim Shockey? Some big time take all game with a Knight muzzleloader guy. Your start of a article reminded me of his.
    "As I trudged relentlessly up the vertical cliff" Wow, just shoot the damn thing and go have a Bud at the cabin will ya? [:D]

• phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Every year when season comes around I am the most excited man on the planet. I get all of my gear ready. I start shooting my bow again even though I'm still sure of my dead-eye status[;)]. I spend at least a couple of hours going through Cabelas seeing what else I "need", then I blow all of my Cabelas Bucks on cover scents. I scout my woods for weeks only to set up in one of the 3 trees I've hunted for years. Then when all of the preparations have finally been made, I get out my warm weather camo and make my way into the woods. I hike off the road, through the briars, up and down hills, across the creek, and finally climb my tree. I ask myself what in the hell I'm doing out in this god-forsaken heat as I unbutton all of my clothing. Then, I listen to the life of the woods and it all makes sense. And when I see that first deer of the season, I don't care if it is a fawn or a P&Y class buck, I don't think that I could be any more impressed with life. And so begins the season.....

That was beautiful. (In a manly sort of way of course.)[:D]
    edited November -1
    sounds like fun. just let me know when...Might even be able to squeeze in some fishing[:D].

Funny post for me. Here's to friends! Since this post was made, both taco, bang, and myself have become good friends because of it. We also got buckey to come visit. now we just need susp to come visit.

Ben
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1

Funny post for me. Here's to friends! Since this post was made, both taco, bang, and myself have become good friends because of it. We also got buckey to come visit. now we just need susp to come visit.

Ben

amen brutha man!