In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cold Packing My Buck ?

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
Well now I ain't got him yet but would like to try "Cold Packing".Anybody want to take the time to tell me exactly how to go about this.

Ate some at my Hunting Buddy's Camp a couple times and it was the best Deer Meat I ever ate with some Taters and Gravy.Never did ask how to go about it.He's gone now from Cancer.

1-Powder
2-Patch
3-Ball
4-Remove the Rod
5-Do Not Forget the Cap.

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    It's best to use decent cuts of meat, like roast meat and so on. Cut it into small to medium size cubes. Place it in quart jars, fill them about 1/2 - 2/3 full, then add 1/2 quart of water and some salt to taste. Sit the jars in a cold packer for 20 - 3o minutes remove them and seal the jars. I do believe that is all we do. Haven't done any for a couple years. Normally when we do it we have a bunch get together and we cold pack a couple deer and empty some aluminum cans in the process. [;)] It can take a long time.

Oh, one other thing I always like the taste when you cold pack fresh meat. Always seems better than using meat that has been froze.
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    What's a Cold Packer?Is that a Pressure Cooker you're talking of?Also; do you have to trim away the fat?

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    No, it isn't a pressure cooker it's a:
    flyyourflag_1824_14725787
    I'm fairly sure they refer to them as cold packers in stores. I believe we bought ours at a large hardware store, don't see them in sears or places like that.
    Normally we do not leave any fat on the meat. One thing I forgot to mention, sometimes we add a little beef suet into the water the meat will be cooking in. Just adds a little flavor, but isn't needed. We only do it if we have any suet from a beef being butchered.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pheww, the title had me wonderin, ya'll were startin to worry me that you Ohioans had a code name for unnatural acts[:D]. Now in all honesty my late grandpa used to do that and people came from everywhere to eat it. Wish I had half of my grannies recipes, i'd be cookin constantly.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
    edited November -1
    [:D] When I first read the title I thought it said cold packing my butt, after a few more times I realized it was buck.

I'd rather cold pack deer than make deer burger. My grandma used to make some delicious meals, I sure miss that.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent