In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for the best bow

Spearit86Spearit86 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I am new to bow hunting. Is there a place where I can get a bow to fit perfect. Can they measure arm length and heighth to get the best bow possible for a more perfect shot with an arrow? I'm only look for the best. I am not looking for a cross bow. I have hunted with a freind's bow before, but it just didn't seem to work for me.

If you don't need it, find someone who needs it more than you.

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    There is a place, but only one. It's in Rhode Island and the guys name is Buckeyboy, he'll set you right up. [;)]

Talk to some local bow hunters you know and find a honest, respectable dealer in your area. safest and easiest way to get yourself set up right.
    Welcome aboard, hope to see ya around. [:)]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome aboard, and hope ya stick around. Find a reputable archery shop and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Watch out tho, it's an addictive sport.[:)]

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I agree with the others, reputable shop. They can set you up with a bow to fit you. I am a little bias on the best brand of bow but there are several good brands out there. Shoot a few and see what you like. Again a shop can hook you up with that. Stick around there is a great bunch of people on here with good info.

Hi my name is bang, I am a bow hunting addict. And I am leaving shortly to go get my fix.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I'm really starting to not like you susp.[xx(] That's it give me a bad rap with the new guy.[B)] Hey new guy there is a guy named GOGOLEN he knows all there is to know about bows[;)] but he's the only one you should talk to.[:D][:D]
  • Spearit86Spearit86 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I probably stick around. I will take everything into consideration that I get here. I will probably check out all aspects before I decide on any specific kind. But keep the advice coming if there is any more. I am in the mid west so any place within a 5 hour drive of me might be worth it to check out. This probably won't be the only question or advice I ever have about this.

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ill give ya some advice buy a hoyt. all these guys will talk about mathews bows being the best well they havnt shot a hoyt yet. that should start a discussion

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Spearit86Spearit86 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has been a lot of adice on different brands. I don't really know one from the other yet. But I am sure willing to hear the advice and take all into consideration on which one is the best and why.

• gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Headzilla I have shot a hoyt but I couldn't bring myself to buy a second rate bow hence I purchased the Mathews. Anytime you want to take me on with that Hoyt of yours feel free to come on by, league doesn't start for about a month and I am feeling the need to school someone in the ways. At any rate Spearit if you are looking for the best look no further than Mathews you will not regret the choice. I could go on all day about why Mathews is superior, but I think with a little research you will find the same. Sorry if I seem cranky, I need to go eat lunch.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Well ok since it has started, Notice how mathews and smooth sound a lot alike. try it with me once maaatheeewws...ssmmmooooth. nice huh! smooth, quiet and fast the deer don't have a chance to move and the arrow is already through them and in the ground on the other side.
    A Hoyt sounds like...... ummmm a pirate with speach problem[xx(]. (stir stir)
    Preschool Shooting Equipment (PSE, more stiring) makes a good bow too. but you said you wanted the best right? save yourself the agony of buying something just to go and have to buy a mathews later. Just by one to start with. The new switchback is supposed to be awesome.
    I just got my mathews this year, I don't think I can shoot anything else now. I love my mathews I talked to her, rub her, lub her up[:0].....maybe I'm sharing to much[:I].

OK now to be serious, just go to a shop and shoot several and see which you like the best. Good luck on your search let us know how it comes out.
    Hope I got some stuff stirred up. Let the fun begin![:D]

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mathews, Hoyt, Browning, etc. Who cares what you shoot as long as you enjoy it and are happy with the results. I've shot Hoyt, PSE, and now a Reflex. Every year I kill 3-4 deer with them so i'll stick with mine.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Hoyt and like it, but I won't say it is the best because I haven't really shot anything else. Just the bow I decided on. Pick any bow from the top Brands, PSE, Hoyt, Bowtec. Oh and there are a few people who like the cheaper bows like Reflex. You will be spending close to a thousand dollars to start out so be prepared. Good Luck and have fun!!
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mkirkland
    You will be spending close to a thousand dollars to start out so be prepared. Good Luck and have fun!!

Unless you use cheap equipment like I do, then you can make it out of the bowshop for around $400. Don't count on being as deadly as I am though.[;)]

Ben

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben I wish I had gone the $400 dollar route also. I think the most important aspect, when hunting, is the person more than anything else.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    All kidding aside hoyt and mathews are both good bows. I shot both a mathews and the hoyt and they both shot great, i bought the hoyt because it looked better to me so it got the 800 i had

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spearit86
    Thanks for the information. I probably stick around. I will take everything into consideration that I get here. I will probably check out all aspects before I decide on any specific kind. But keep the advice coming if there is any more. I am in the mid west so any place within a 5 hour drive of me might be worth it to check out. This probably won't be the only question or advice I ever have about this.

If you can find a good reputable shop nearby, go there. Many good bow shops have an indoor range that you can go there and shoot for free if all the time if you buy your bow there, and theyll help you with equipment, repairs, tips on shooting, etc.

b50ddb59.jpg

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    and dont forget, there are so many aspects to being a good bow hunter. Camo, equipment, scent control, calls, etc. Have fun!
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    These guys are great for giving info and advice. But take it for what it is... just a starting point. I think everyone has different wants and likes when it comes to bows. Also go look in the pawn shops. I got a couple bows from local pawn shops and had my first kill about a month into bow hunting. As far as what is best... I learned real fast... its about like asking a bunch of people who makes the best truck. Of course the answer to that is much easier. [}:)]