In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow for adult beginner

thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
Any suggestions on a beginners bow? I have zero archery experience. I will most likely be buying used.

"Convenience is currently killing our world" -Me

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Go to an archery shop or range and shoot several before you buy anything

Mathews1.gif
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you found us Thunder. We're an odd bunch (just don't turn your back on the guys who shoot Mathews, there a little "funny" if you catch my drift)

Okay, I would check out your local shop and see what they have to offer. I would try and think of a budget and stick to it. Ask if the bow you are looking at has any accessories like a rest, stabilizer, or sights. I assume that you are looking for a compound and will be shooting some type of release? That's the part that you hold in your hand and works kind of like a trigger. Keep these accessories in mind as they can really start to add up fast. Major brands like HOYT, PSE, mathews[xx(], bowtech are expensive bows and can cost several hundred dollars new. That's why having a budget in mind will help. Buying a bow from a shop close to you will help because they should help set the bow to you. Your draw length and peep sight if you choose to use one. They should also be able to answer all of your questions and help get you started in the right direction. We're here to help too. Just remember what I said about those mathes guys, there jelious of us smarter Hoyt shooters.[:D] We have fun here but we're a good bunch and will help any way we can.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Hey new guy stay away from hoyt ... not because there not a good bow .. but because slash shoots one[}:)][}:)][:D][:D]

Mathews1.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    What slash said, except for the Hoyt thing and the Mathews shooters.

Hoytboy (AKA Slash) is the one that is riaa.gif and maybe a little der.gif.

[:D][:D][:D][;)]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I agree with what was said earlier about the BOWS, not sure about the gayness thing going on around here. [B)]

See what you like, what feels good and go relatively cheap then as your progress start increasing your contributions to your equipment.
    Not sure about how things are where your from but a lot of archery shops around me will make really good deals on used bows, like including all the accessories and so on. Guess they figure a happy bowhunter buys a lot more. [:D]

Good luck, hope you stick around.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did we scare Thunder off?[:D] Hope not!

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Thunder... there are tons of good pawn shops here in Ga... I found several at them before I got my first "new" bow. It's trial and error until you find the right one for you. Dont go and buy a "name" buy what you feel fits you.

PS nothing better than a good ole Ga boy. [;)] Welcome!

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YA Slash you did when You said something bout HOYT's wtg..lol

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a PES on Ebay very cheaply and on the advice of the wise souls in here took it to my local shop and had it gone over, After new strings and cables ,sight, arrow rest and a tune up I have less than $200 tied up in it, which I can get most of back when I decide what kind I really want