In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Polymer Field Points

CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
Do they make them?

As I am about to go back to college, I figured I had a rather large backyard where I live there, and I could easily practice at 25 yard ranges.
So I checked city ordinances:
"No person shall discharge any firearm of any description or name, air gun, slingshot or bow and arrow in company with a metal-tipped arrow within the city without a special permit in writing for that purpose obtained from the chief of police or by general order issued by the city council."

I assume a bow and arrow includes a crossbow (it has a bow on it, and a bolt and arrow are the same thing in different proportions), but I don't have a crossbow anyway I'm just curious about that point as state law makes distinctions between them when it comes to hunting etc.

If I could find 100 grain or heavier polymer field points, I need not worry about a neighbor repeorting me and confiscation of my bow.

"In addition to the penalties otherwise provided in this Code, a violator of this section shall suffer the confiscation of such firearm, air gun, slingshot or bow and arrow in company with a metal-tipped arrow. (Code 1964 ? 7-3.201; Ord. No. 1669, ? 2.)"

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    You could widdle down one of those blunt small-animal rubber points.

Ben
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just looked at Cabelas, Goldtip and Easton. Nothing but the blunts or blugen. That is not saying there isn't anything but all I had time for cause I'm going to go shooting! Hope you find something or don't get caught with regular tips![;)][:D]
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    excuse my ignorance, but what is a blugen point?
    How much do those small animal rubber points weigh?
    I need the whittle'd down point to weigh at least 100 grains to be safe.

(could probably weigh less, as my draw wieght is tuned down at the moment, but I hope to build muscle and set it to its max draw weight in a month or so)

Rubber works, heck I dont care if the tip has metal in it, I'd settle for a polymer or other non metal coating(besides a thin layer of paint etc), especially at the tip, so that if a Davis Police officer comes around to look, he wont see metal at the tip.
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A blugen is just another small animal such as the blunt but with like little tits on the face! It wont snake under grass or stick in stumps! These go from 85-145 grains. The blunts are 115 grain
  • addicted1addicted1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before I bought anything I would check with the police station and see if I could get a permit to target practice in my back yard.
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    well its really a kinda insignifigant now that i found a range 10 minutes away that costs me nothing but the gas to get there, and I'm going shooting(bow and rifle) with a friend who says he knows a place even closer tommorow.

It would be nice to be able to shoot in my backyard which is about 50 yards long(just my estimate, havent measured it) surrounded by wood fence, and everyone that i live with seems to think i should just go ahead and stack some hay bails and shoot anyway.
    I figure i probably wont get in any trouble since its private land, the only fear i have is of someone in the multi story apartment complex seeing over the fence and amking some report to the police about someone shooting a bow, i figure ill just get some rubber blunts, and that way if an officer ever comes around, ill say i was using the blunts.

I figure it should be safe, its a large backyard (for a very large house with rooms for 20 people), with a wood fence backstop, and im not that bad of a shot that i'd miss a stack of hay bails completly at a 25-35 yard target.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks

It would be nice to be able to shoot in my backyard which is about 50 yards long(just my estimate, havent measured it) surrounded by wood fence, and everyone that i live with seems to think i should just go ahead and stack some hay bails and shoot anyway.
    I figure i probably wont get in any trouble since its private land, the only fear i have is of someone in the multi story apartment complex seeing over the fence and amking some report to the police about someone shooting a bow, i figure ill just get some rubber blunts, and that way if an officer ever comes around, ill say i was using the blunts.

If it was me, I would shot until there until the cops are called, the first time the most they are going to give you would be a warning as long as you acted mature and they are not idots.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love those bludgeon points, they work great on stray dogs.