In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

fletchings?

hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
OK guys, once again I must call on ya'll for some help.

I am tearing up the fletchings on my new Easton Axxis arrows. It's not from hitting them with other arrows either. I think I might have hit one but the other just started to peel off, from the point end.

In you opinion, what kind of fletchings should I replace them with and why do you think they are the best? Are some fletchings more durable for shooting througha whisker bisquit?
I am shooting a Hoyt Intruder and a whisker bisquit and this is a hunting only set-up

Thanks for the help
Cody

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what vanes are you currently using?

I really think you are having problems with the edge flaring back is because you don't have enough vane to arrow contact. Since the axis arrows are so small in diameter it is a must that you get the whole vane surface to contact the arrow. Otherwise you will be puting new on every time you shoot. I really had to push the vanes against the surface in order to do this. I use duravanes they have a wide base, instead of using fletch tite or fletch tite platinum like I do with my other arrows, I have used AAE fastset gel. It allows me to push everything down and it stays in one try. I don't have to sit there and hold the vane still for 10 minutes waiting for the fletch tite. Duravanes are anything but durable, but they are cheap.
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are the vanes that come on the arrows from the factory. I need some durable vanes that I won't have to be messing with all the time

Thanks
    Cody
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your shooting groups there really isn't a durable vane.

Vanetec vanes seem to be the stiffist
    duravanes aren't durable, and tend to become wavy after they get hit by an arrow, which may happen out of the bisket
    bohning vanes seem to be a mix between vanetec vanes and duravanes
    Fletchflex vanes are more like duravanes, but i don't know how they hold up.
    AAE vanes are probably stiffer then vanetecs.

I just like the duravanes cause they are cheap, work for hunter class at 3d's and shoot well. They also have a nice base.

I think a lot of the guys here are using bohning blazer vanes and having good luck with them.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Blazers work extreemly well. I was very impressed They also have less surface area due to their size which reduces contact and friction. plus they stabilize very well.[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the blazers so cant say much, like them so far. I notice taco tipped the leading edge of the vanes with a little dab of glue when he fletched them. This may help you problem if I understood it corretly.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Use Blazers and love them.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Blazers. I have been using them for just over a year. They work great!
    Another little tip for thoes who fletch their own... Goat tuff glue is really nice to work with. I was using beyond bond which really holds, but smells terrible. The Goat tuff is just as strong with no smell.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    what you dont like the smell of Beyond Bond? Jeeze man... I use it as air freshner[:D]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I use that fast fletch gel and you can't pull the vanes off if you try. the vanes tear and rip apart before they come off. be carful this poop will stick your fingers together... which means taco you be very care ful cant bowhunt with one hand[:D]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word, Blazers. Now that is said, I have noticed that blazers work well out of a bisquit and there isn't hardly and warping with alot of use. Blazers work well with just about every setup. I even put those landsharks on a couple arrows because it suggest you use 5" vanes to stabilize the broadhead. They fly just fine with blazers on them.
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK ya'll have me sold on the Blazers! It was a toss up for me between Blazers and Quick Spins, but you guys are usually right. So when I go to get them, am I wanting the 2" Blazers on my Easton Axxis arrows?

Thanks again
    Cody
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hivoltg
    OK ya'll have me sold on the Blazers! It was a toss up for me between Blazers and Quick Spins, but you guys are usually right. So when I go to get them, am I wanting the 2" Blazers on my Easton Axxis arrows?

Thanks again
    Cody

Yup!!!