In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Releases

hawkflyerhawkflyer Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
I want to start shooting with a release. My question is which style, gated or caliper? Im not even sure about the gated term name. It looks like the caliper will wear on the string or loop as it releases but the gated could possibly force the string off center. I want to limit costs to about $60. I like the pistol grip such as the Winn free flight C-10. Which way do I go?

MDK

Comments

• Options
    marinerahmarinerah Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk,
    I use a fletchhunter release, which I have had a long time. It works great. I have two models, one that works by putting it around your wrist and one that you actually use by holding it with your hand. They both have a trigger type release, which is great. The trigger is smooth, and does not take much to send the arrow down range. Just keep your finger on the back side of the trigger while drawing the bow back, or you will send an arrow into the stratosphere!! Just try a few out and if you dont like them return em. Trial and error. I'm sure there are a million makes and models.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have one i got for 30 bucks. it has a wrist strap and I like it. prolly couldnt shoot without it.

He who dies with the most toys still dies "NO FEAR"
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "gated' type you mention will definately cause the string to go off center. I used to use one, until I did a paper test-the holes were a mess-Switched to a caliper, and they were perfect. I would reccomend the type that goes around the wrist, rather than the type that you hold in your hand.

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
    -David Hume
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I started shooting a Carter ONE-SHOT last year. It has a better trigger than any gun I've ever shot. You'll pay big $$ for it (compared to most), but it is the only one you'll ever have to buy. Check 'em out. They're pretty cool.
    Ben