In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hi i shoot right handed and have a problem!!!!!!!!

airraidairraid Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
[V]i shoot right handed and am left eye dominat real bad in fact i have to use very,very long pins to shoot i cant pull back a left hand bow or i would change is there a bow or somthing out there that can help me in my problem i think that i would be a very good shot if i could stay right handed and get sights or a bow that would elimanate this left eye domince thing any help?[?]

Comments

• Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good question bud,
    I would recomend shooting a left hand bow. You can pull back a lower pound bow and work your way up from there. I have worked with archers with your same problem. Have you ever seen the susan summer rubber workout equipment, it looks like the dog toy that you play tug with. It is a great way to build up your strenth. what you have told me here is that you have to lean your head to the right to see the pins. STOP THAT and enjoy the sport..lol I think that you could be a great shooter if you went to a left handed bow. I will do some more research for you though..DONT GIVE UP!

excalibur
  • Options
    flyboyflyboy Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem. Archery or shotgunning. My solution was (is) to close one eye and "aim". Not what is recommended I know, but I was getting frustrated. I also shoot a recurve with no sights, shooting instictive. Went the "space bow" route with all kinds of sights and gadgets, and came back to the way I had learned to shoot a bow in the begining. The deer I kill don't complain! Hope this helps. Flyboy.
  • Options
    trapman69trapman69 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you wear glasses it's easy put a piece of clear tape on left side.
    It will take alittle work but you'll find the spot. I have been doing
    this for years. I at one time tried to go left handed bought the bow
    shot for a year and while i did improve i never could shoot as good as i do right handed. I think this is because i'm right handed just
    left eye dominant. Hope this helps trapman69
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What problem? Shoot right handed with both eyes open. Concentrate on the target and forget about sights. It takes a bit of practice but it works. There's no eliminating eye dominance.
  • Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry bud but wrong answer to the eye dominant. Your opposite eye will want to over come the non dominant eye. you will have spuratic arrows and not enjoy it at all..Why confuse you own instinct. good luck to those who are not normal...lol just kidding if you need more info just ask
  • Options
    oakleyjoeoakleyjoe Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem. I was shooting all over the place, and a friend recommended a patch(like a pirate would wear). I got one for under $5.00 , and since then my shooting has improved 99%. Try it, it really worked miracles for me.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I agree with oakleyjoe. Had two friends with the same problem and they both improved by using an eye patch. One got to the point he didn't need the patch anymore and the other keeps it as part of his hunting equipment.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    archeryatticarcheryattic Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may sound radical, but you can shoot a LH bow right handed using your left eye to aim. I do it in my shop when I set up LH handed bows. Just make sure the bow has a moderate to high brace height. 7.5 inches or more. [:)]

Keep the wind in your face, the sun at your back, and God in your heart.
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I have a similar problem but with a gun. I shoot a bow left handed and do good, being left eye dominant but with a gun,I shoot right handed.

Hillsville.
  • Options
    NorthForkRancherNorthForkRancher Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the eye patch is the way to go as recommended by those above

NorthForkRancher

'We Don't Rent Pigs'
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    LeveractionLeveraction Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem, when I was a kid I started shooting guns left handed to make life easy for me but when I got my Bow went with a right handed one I just had to learn to close my left eye when I shot. After a few weeks of shooting every day I have no trouble at all.