In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying used bows

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
I would be scared to buy a used bow. As good of deals as they may seem, you can never tell if one has been dropped or mistreated. You could buy an "accident waiting to happen". Are any of you guys weary of buying a used bow for that reason, or am I just paranoid?

Ben

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    ya never know if it has been dry fired before leaving cracks

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • Options
    rovrmanrovrman Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what you mean. I backed out of bow purchase with HZ97. I am still interested though, is it still for sale?
    Joe

french people don't speak german, thank my dad for that
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Buying a used bow is like buying a used car, you also inheret soneone elses headache's. "kinda like sloppy seconds"[:0][:0] Did I say That[?]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I'll buy a used one, doesn't bother me. I've seen limbs break on compounds and crossbows, but nobody got hurt. Sure there is the possibility, but you can get hurt doing anything. How about a used gun, how do you know what's been done to them. I've never disassembled a gun to check it prior to shooting after I bought it used.
    Take the risk and get a deal. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

"kinda like sloppy seconds"[:0][:0] Did I say That[?]

I never thought of it that way. That shines a whole new light on the situation.[xx(][:D]
    Ben
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Sus, I figured you say that. Heck you shoot a bow thats been run 0ver by a car. Why would it bother you buy a used one?? Just kidding.[:D[:D][:D] Seriously unless the deal was real sweet I'd most likely go new. Depends on what financial shape your in at the time. Heck if worse came to worse I'd strap a pointed rock to a stick. I Doubt I would kill anything[B)][B)] maybe myself.[:I]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Come on bring on all the bashing....[:D]
    For the record when my hoyt got run over it went in the trash, there wasn't any saving to that pile. [xx(]
    Buckey, I'm not talking financial state, heck anyone in this forum can afford a computer and the internet so I'm fairly confident they can buy themselves a new bow.
    Do you buy anything that's used? I'd like to compare it to a firearm. I have only bought one brand new gun this year, my reason... registration, I hate it. As for used guns... I'll buy good deals all day long. [:D]
    I agree it's risky with a bow, limbs and so on, but I don't see any problem. It's risky for me driving to work on the highway, but I still tough it out everyday..[:D][;)]
    Most Ohio hunters carry a stick with a sharp rock attached, only legal means to harvest a fox.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Bear Epic Extream used back when they were the top of the line Bear Bows. It shot well and I use it for a couple of seasons. I then purchased my High Country Carbon 4 Runner. I bought it from a place in Ohio. It was new and the same bow sold for $200.00 more where I live. It was one of 500 made with 75# limbs, had to have it. So I resold the Bear Epic Extream to a fellow in Texas on the internet. He e-mailed me a few time during that season thanking me for selling him the bow. He had not missed a animal with it and just loved the bow. We both were happy, I was able to pay off my new bow and he has a bow that shoots well for him. I agree that buying a used bow is like buying a used car, you can get a limon in anything second hand. I have also seen brand ne bows snap a limb the first time they are pulled back. If you buy a used bow make sure you can return it. Most folks will give you 3 days to look it over. Check it out real well, take it to a archery shop if you think it is nessary. If you find anything wrong pack it up and return it to the original owner for a refund.
    Hornet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, here's where I'm coming from. One of my friends is in a quandry. He can't decide if he wants a new Parker, or a one year old Mathews. What do you think?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    pacyewpacyew Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing to remember is that any compound bow is a collection of parts. A used one is a collection of used parts - if its been serviced, some components may have less wear than others, some may even be irrepairably damaged. One advantage over other mechanical devices is that it is open - you can usually see all of the parts. I would take any used bow to the best expert you can find and have him tell you what is there and what he will need to do to make it whole.

Compound bows, even the newest most adjustable ones are user specific - in that they are set up to fit one archer. What you will want to know is what it will take to make it optimal for your personal use. Even new bow, if it does not fit you correctly, may be worse than worthless - it may be a total waste of your time. Again, take it to your expert. Have him tell you your options.

The fashion element: the because a bow cost $600 5 years ago doesn't mean that it is worth even 1/3 of that today. Bows are a little like downhill skis or bicycles - there is always a new model, making anything else the old model.

Depreciation: Compound bows are not like firearms. A fine rifle will often appreciate - and will often work good as new for decades. The compund bow is more like a PC. Do plan it being a boat anchor at some point in time.

Accessories that come along with it: Again, the accessories have to fit you and what you are going to do with the bow. Everything said above applies to attached accessories. Plus, remember that the main thing a bow does ,besides shooting arrows, is to vibrate. all threaded items loosen, needing retightening. Over and over again. Picture what the threads in all those aluminum pieces look like after a few years.

Bottom line - the compound bow is use item, not a collectors item. It is built to use, wear out, become obsolete and be eventually tossed.

If someone is willing to give you a used one - before accepting it I would still have it fully evaluated before beginning to spend any money on it or the rest of what you will need to fit it out. Money pits happen.

If you buy a new one, from a reputable and expert dealer who will stand behind you in the case of anything happens and who will guarantee your satisfation - often this is the way cheapest way to go.

Speaking retired - from 15 years behind the compound bow bench, over 5,000 served.

Jay
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Okay, here's where I'm coming from. One of my friends is in a quandry. He can't decide if he wants a new Parker, or a one year old Mathews. What do you think?

How long does he plan on having the bow? If like me, he considers it a "lifetime investment", then I would say go with the new parker-if for no other reason then he will have a warranty for the bow.
    However, if he is like many, who "upgrades" as the technolgy gets better, then the Matthews wouldnt hurt.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man