In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Small Style Food Plot

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
On a small property I deer hunt for a break of my "better" property there is a small area maybe 10 yards wide by 30-40 yards long. Cleared out and perfect for a food plot. Would it even be worth putting in? I know deer eat those things up and would be expensive upkeep. Any input would be great.

Comments

• 55668814615566881461 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [V]Nm,...............[V][?][V][V]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't hurt. Wheat seed is pretty cheap and easy to put out. Turnips would be more work good also. There is also clover.
    An area that small you could also fence half of it off to keep them coming back.
    Depending on how much work you want to put in I think that the benifits are there.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clover is easy and inexpensive. Depending on your hunting season and soil you could try other things. Talk to your local conservation officer or dept.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Our deer loves alfalfa. I have her on a grass/alfalfa/clover pasture
  • NoGoGapGoNoGoGapGo Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are inexpensive. you need to re-seed them every other year or so. the price of your diesel, chems (if used) and seed should only be a couple hundred bucks.

my family has been doing quality deer management for over 25 years now and we started the plots off small. the results justified more plots. we have several acres of food plots now that we keep rotating and we also have worked hard to keep our multiple springs open and away from the damn cattle.

fresh water and nutrients make monster deer. put up that food plot. just don't shoot them where they eat!

far as seed goes. the fancy crap you see on tv is nothing more than the same stuff real farmers use and get at a fraction of the cost at feed lots.

good luck!