In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colorado bound

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
That's right... 2 weeks from today. I will be hunting elk & mule deer with 5 others (family & friends) in the Routt National Forest. Unguided, public land with a bow. I can't wait!

My setup this year is:
Mathews Monster 7 60lbs, 28"DL, 65% mods. QAD rest, Axcel Armortech Pro 7pin sight, VAP 300's- stainless inserts, 100gr Viper Trick heads (total arrow weight 505gr).

This thing should draw some blood! At least if I am able to get a chance, and do my part. The heavy arrows should give me all the penetration I need for the elk. I know I need to be more accurate with my distance judging, but I have been doing that all year on the 3D range. Left my rangefinder at home all season. I have been judging it, shooting it, and re-guessing distance all summer. I have been doing really well. The few times I had someone with me checking my guess I was almost always within 3 yards out to 70, and within 5 to 100. I know I want the shot as short as possible, and the ethical issues with pushing distance, but it is good to have the skills to estimate distance and make the longer shots.

I added a few other pieces of gear to my collection this year as well. Vortex Viper HD 10X42 Binoculars. WOW! Awesome optics there! I will be buying Vortex optics from now on. I got a Tenzing TZ2220 day pack to haul the gear. Very nice pack for anyone looking. The boots for the trip are the Cabela's "PerfektT" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl. Best fitting boots I have ever found!

I hope I didn't sound like a commercial, or bragging (ok, maybe just a bit). Just wanted to let you all know of some good gear & I'll post up the results in a month or so.

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience during a DIY muzzle loader hunt in 2010 was that the animals move further quicker than myself and my hunting partner could. The elk seemed to be on a 5 day "rotation" the sequence of which we could not determine. Locals with years of experience already knew these circuits but the information was semi-secret.
    We saw nothing except day old tracks while locals killed elk. The quality and cost of equipment means nothing if you don't get to use it. Good luck.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have your bases covered. Can't wait for the stories. Good luck.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Where in the Routt National Forest are you hunting? We will be there bow hunting also outside of Walden...Bull
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm
    Where in the Routt National Forest are you hunting? We will be there bow hunting also outside of Walden...Bull

I'll be east of Meeker, west of Yampa on 8.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck!

Be sure to take some pictures of the scenery & your kill.
    edited November -1
    Will do on the scenery, I'll work on the kill pics too.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009

Good luck..I was hoping we might get together for supper or something but the drive might be too much..lol
    edited November -1

Good luck..I was hoping we might get together for supper or something but the drive might be too much..lol

Showing 128 miles & 3 hours on google maps.
    edited November -1

Showing 128 miles & 3 hours on google maps.

That's how far it seemed we hauled my last bull out.
    edited November -1
    I'm back. No elk for me- our group went 1 for 6 on elk, and 0 on mule deer.

Not to say there where not opportunities. Day 1 I walked in too close to a trophy mule deer, spooked him out after a 15 minute stare-down. I passed on several bulls that I was not sure on the brow tine length. I also passed on several cows that had calves with them. We had 2 bulls with 3 cows every day near the cabin we stayed at, but could not get ahead of them in the morning, and they did not come down until after dark. Fighting the full moon!

The last 4 days of the hunt I located a great bull, but could not get withing bow range. 3 days in a row I had him at 200 yards, just could not close the distance. Smart old boy. He didn't have much of a bugle to him. More of a growl... 6X7, looked as wide as my truck! Just getting to see this guy made my trip.

The area is thick with elk. In a dry year could be really good hunting. Lots of mud and slick slopes made getting around very hard.

My gear was great. Especially the boots! Everyone else in camp had blisters or wet feet. Not me, except for the one day I wore a different pair of boots. The Vortex binos where awesome! Even after I fell down the side of the mountain with them in my pack!