In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shoulder surgery

Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
I had surgery on my shoulder last October. I went through all the rehab insurance would pay for. As soon as I got cleared to go back to work I turned in my retirement papers. Fast forward and a couple months ago I get my bow out to see if I'm going to be able to bow hunt this year. Well I couldn't draw the bow, 61 lbs., and hurt my shoulder in the process. So my question is...
Has anyone here had shoulder surgery, non-evasive laproscopic, and how long till you could draw your bow and shoot it well enough to hunt?
This injury was from getting bucked off a horse about 9 years ago. The wife insisted I get it "fixed" before I retired. The problem is I still have the same issues but now I can't draw my bow and before the surgery I could.

Comments

• riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    keep working it I had both worked on 1 last year in november, and one 3 years prior, that one so bad they kept me 2 days..the therapist about killed me so after 2 days of that I did it myself..I am 62..it will/should come around
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, my daughter tells me I need to work with some weights.
    I rigged a pulley with a hook for attaching weights on one end and a loop on the other end for my bow release. I've been standing working the weights trying to use the same motion and muscles I would for pulling the bow. I started with 8 pounds then upped it to 16 pounds and today I will start with 20 pounds.
    I'll work this for a week or so and then up the weights a other 8 or 10 pounds.
    I'll check whether or not I can draw my bow as I progress.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't had shoulder surgery but have a torn biceps muscle and severe arthritis in my hands and shoulder joints. I got a permits to use a crossbow in archery season in 2 states. Most worthwhile Dr. visit I've had for many years.
    My cousin had shoulder surgery 2 years ago and still doesn't have full strength in that arm/shoulder.
    edited November -1
    I can use a crossbow legally during bow season in Texas. I just didn't want to spend $400 on a cross bow if I didn't have too.
    edited November -1
    Just an update on the shoulder...

I got my Matthews out today and was able to draw it and get off about 5 or 6 arrows. I stopped after that because I didn't want to 're-injure the shoulder. I felt most of the pull in my bicep I guess it is. Anyway upper arm and a little less in the shoulder. I can tell the weights have helped but I'm gonna stay with the weight therapy as well as shooting a few arrows each evening.
    I'm stoked because I really thought I was going to have to sit out bow season this year or buy a crossbow.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can legally use an arrow gun (crossbow) check out a Draw-Loc. I have seen many people use one for a season or 2 while they heal from injures.
  • Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my shoulder replaced and had the same problem as you. I decided it didn't require a 60lb bow to hunt deer so I droped it to 45lb and it heplped a lot.Now I'm back to 50Lb. You might want to try that.