In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wife's elk mount is back

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a European mount done by my friend Jon at Borreson Outdoors (www.europeantaxidermy.com) It turned out well, and is now home on my wall.
DSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1817.jpg

He uses beetles to clean the skull which keeps much more of the fine detail in the sinus and nasal cavities.
DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

I had him make a wall plaque for it. Holds real secure, and displays the skull nicely.
DSCN1819.jpg

Comments

• edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice mounnt. Wish I had an Elk to mount.[:(]
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Nice mount...I have a European elk mount also and the white skull makes the horns stand out I think..
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice. Wife's first elk? Was it a bow or gun kill?
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    Very nice. Wife's first elk? Was it a bow or gun kill?

Yes her first. Was a gun hunt. She has back problems and has not been shooting bow enough to pull weight needed to shoot an elk. Her 308 worked great.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    VERY NICE! Tell her I said congrats.
    If I had a nice shed with a room I wouldn't mind getting some of the beetles but the wife won't let me either get a big shed or have them in the basement. [:D]
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    If I had a nice shed with a room I wouldn't mind getting some of the beetles but the wife won't let me either get a big shed or have them in the basement. [:D]

You would not want them anywhere near your house! That is one hell of a stinky operation! They work best at 90 degrees, and most beetle colonies would take several days to clean even a deer skull. Oh and they typically like the flesh a bit rotten before they even start. I hate to tell you, but she is right! Unless you have access to a small shed that you could make into a "bug room" I'd suggest having someone else do it.

Also the De-greasing and whitening process get tricky too. De-greasing can take months to do right. Some heat can help, but you will never get a white skull without getting the oils out of the skull. Then the whitening process... Hard to find the high concentrated peroxide you need to do it efficiently. Pro40 will work, but takes several applications. Higher concentrations work much better, but take special HAZMAT permits.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

You would not want them anywhere near your house! That is one hell of a stinky operation! They work best at 90 degrees, and most beetle colonies would take several days to clean even a deer skull. Oh and they typically like the flesh a bit rotten before they even start. I hate to tell you, but she is right! Unless you have access to a small shed that you could make into a "bug room" I'd suggest having someone else do it.

Also the De-greasing and whitening process get tricky too. De-greasing can take months to do right. Some heat can help, but you will never get a white skull without getting the oils out of the skull. Then the whitening process... Hard to find the high concentrated peroxide you need to do it efficiently. Pro40 will work, but takes several applications. Higher concentrations work much better, but take special HAZMAT permits.

We have a couple tanks here in the anatomy lab, it takes months for them to finish a deer skull. And thats taking most of the meat off first
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell your wife she has one nice rack!![:D][8D][:D][}:)]
    Beautiful!!
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats to her...
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [^][^][^] Nice. Congrats to your wife. Oak