In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow hunting for turkey question.

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
Been practicing on a 3D target at 30-40 yards, is that a practical range? I can get 3-5 in the kill zone at different angles with field points. But at 50 lbs with a 100gr broad head do you think at that range the arrow might run out of steam?

I am looking for solid limitations/boundary's to work with for next year. Keeping my expectations low for next year for a first time out.[:I]

Comments

• bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I honestly think that 50 yds is a huge distance.
    And with a bow, an amazing accomplishment.

Practice closer.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes it is possible with a bow However The movement of drawing a bow standing up and getting off a shot at a standing turkey is going to be Hard to say the least. I would think 99% of your shots will be either flushed airborne or running. I would practice both
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a 50 lb bow?.....compound or recurve.....if its a recurve keep your shots 20 yards maximum. a compound may stretch you out to 40. practice with the same weight broadheads as field points, but that is no guarantee you BHs hit the same as field points. use a popup GROUNDBLIND! very effective to keep your movement hidden. never shoot a moving or flying target unless you have flight restricted arrows and you are an expert shooter. even if you are an expert, seldom will you kill instantly, so most likely you will be chasing down a bird that could have a broadhead sticking out of it flopping around. be extremely careful
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a turkey and any modern bow a distance that you could probably actually the bird at is probably 100yds maybe even more. But realisticly probably closer to the 20-30yd mark. Its all going to depend on your skill and what you can do with a bow. I know theres guys out there that brag about 50-60yd kill shots with a bow on deer, and Im sure it happens, but for the most part a bow for the average guy your looking at about 30yds. Problem with turkeys and bows is I have heard many tukeys running off with arrows in them as they are a hard animal to kill.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I'd say at 30-40 you'd be fine.
    Last winter, we had a gobbler running around with an arrow sticking out of it. I don't know if it finally fell out or finally did him in but I saw it for about a month in a field.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    discusdad- I am using a PSE DNA 50-70lb Compound bow (hoping by next year I will be up to 55+ lbs). The rest/all thanks for the input. Now I know I am on the right track from what you guys have suggested.

Last thing I want to do is send an arrow down stream and have it stuck in his *. Best part, if it does not feel right, I don't take the shot![8D]
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for turkey I do know there are specific arrows to use. I would also look into one of those tracking strings.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    for turkey I do know there are specific arrows to use. I would also look into one of those tracking strings.

The arrow shafts not so much, here in CA it's the size of the broad head you use 7/8" dia max 100gr. I plan on using

FlyingArrowToxicBroadhead-S.jpg