In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ground blind

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking into a ground blind to bow hunt out of this fall, any suggestions...double bull makes some nices ones but kinda pricey.

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking of using a ground blind for turkey and deer. Anyone have any suggestions as to make, size, options ?
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are hunting on your own land or land you exlusively hunt I have an idea for you.

I saw on a hunting show a real hay bale blind. I think double bull introduced it for $200. You use the wire mesh in concrete to make the shell.(4x4" or 6x6" wire mesh comes on 4'x125' roll for about $100).
    You make two pieces to sandwich grass between like a sandwich. Roll it up like a round hay bale. And sandwich some grass between 2 pieces for the ends. When you are done it looks like a round hale bale.

You can buy the wire in 125ft roll which is enough to make two blinds,one for you, one to sell for $100-$200 to a friend. It pays for your blind. Also you can put a piece of black plastic in the inside to darken/waterproof the blind. You will need some rebar or stakes to support the shape on the inside. When the weather sucks outside you stay nice and toasty and dry. You can cut custom size holes where you want, how big you want.

One thing though, you will need to put it together in field or haul on a small trailer. It gets heavy with all the grass rolled into it.
    You can move it with 2 people.

If you'd like I can go out to the farm and take pix's of one I have not put together yet, give you an idea of what it looks like.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    What I did was aquired on old boat trailer and built a wooden blind on it. I can move it where ever.
    We also built one on an old Metro van.
    I've shot 2 out of it with my bow.
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]DeerBlind002.jpg

[img][/img]deerandblind011.jpg
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Hard to beat ASAT! In fact not sure you can
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks very usable and utilitarian. [8D]

How do you sound dampen them? [:)]

Good ideas, thanks! [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

Looks very usable and utilitarian. [8D]

How do you sound dampen them? [:)]

Good ideas, thanks! [:D]

The one on the trailer has all weather carpet on the floor.
    The one on the van, we sort of pushed the metal down and it has a wood floor base and some rubber matting on the wood.
    We would always see deer walking by the van. No good trees near enough so....We got a machine in at work and the pallet and encloser are what the van blind is made of.
    As long as you do your part, the deer never look up.
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of the "Outhouse" ones. Gun hunting maybe but, I think that the stand up too tall and look out of place.
    The other I have, I don't know the name. It was placed by its previous owner on private property that they didn't have permission to be on and the land owner gave it to me.
    It has a lower profile and some good windows. Used it with gun but not with a bow.
    edited November -1
    Good going. Thanks for the info.

Using outdoor carpeting is a good idea all the way around.
  • LilOsageLilOsage Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed, for a ground blind I really like the homemade double chicken wire & hay design, I refresh mine each fall.

However, if the weather turns really ugly here's my back pasture second choice, carpeted walls&floor, swivel easy chair, padded rest, heat and "whiz" only plumbing:

Condo.jpg

HuntStand.jpg
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    assat sucks Rich

DSC00951.jpg
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the photos, there are some good ideas there.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    buckey, watch it, next time you came to hickville you may never be the same [:D] Hard to beat ASAT

http://asatcamo.com/2_2_testphotos.htm