In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

woman and bows

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
Looking at geting my 17 year old sister a bow for christmas, Would the Bear Apprentice 2 be too small? Its a 20-60 draw weight and 15 to 27 inch draw length. Also looking at the 50 to 60 bear charge. What are most woman shooters using as draw weights for target shooting and maybe hunting. Oh her draw length is around 26-27

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know the exact circumstances but if they have the time a bow would be a great gift, but I know more and more crossbows are becomming legal and for someone who wouldn't like to practice a lot and have to worry about pulling the 40-70 lb. bow a cocking device on a crossbow would be great in my opinion. Best crossbow for the money I believe is Horton! I also shoot bear bows and love them!
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wvhunt
    Looking at geting my 17 year old sister a bow for christmas, Would the Bear Apprentice 2 be too small? Its a 20-60 draw weight and 15 to 27 inch draw length. Also looking at the 50 to 60 bear charge. What are most woman shooters using as draw weights for target shooting and maybe hunting. Oh her draw length is around 26-27

I bought my wife a Bear (pink camo) RTH package bow. I think it is the Apprentice. I'll post a picture later today. It was $279 and came with rest, quiver and sight ready to shoot. A very nice bow for a female and very quiet and accurate.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found this pic of the bow I bought for my wife. It is a very accurate little bow. I was impressed and it is extremely quiet. It is the Apprentice. I would recommend it for sure, but be aware the sights are kind of cheap. We replaced the sights. It comes with a "whisker biscuit" rest and a decent quiver.

Good luck, Don

Archer.jpg
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    with the other vote for crossbow choice...

Its a better solution for women. Get one with a cocking aid to draw it and its a better bet.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wvhunt
    ]

It would only be to small if she were longer that 27" draw. Id say go for it
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd think that it all depends most on the individual.

What is her experience, what are her needs, what are her wants?

To me archery is mighty personal ... and personally ... I'd like a lot of input into any such personal gear as archery.

Get her take, get her input and needs and wants covered ... and you ought both be much happier.

When one knows what they themselves are looking for, no problem.

When uncertain, or searching, or when shopping (till you're dropping) for another person ... near impossible to go wrong with them in tow and going to some places that have a great selection and have real specialization in archery, with knowledgeable folks at hand.

Good luck with your quest! Keep folks posted, will you?