In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Doe down in MN

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I spent yesterday at a property I just got permission to hunt in 346 (5 deer zone). I had only been there once before to put up a camera. Pulled that card & found this guy several times, but always in the dark.
EK000169_zps06ad6a8d.jpg

I spent 3 hours scouting the east end of this property knowing I wanted to sit the west side with the NE wind. Lots of deer sign to be found & saw a few deer.

At 3:00 I was in my climber in the only place that worked for the NE wind. Had a long sit, seeing nothing but a few squirrels until 6:25. Then I saw a nice doe coming up the ravine. She busted me drawing, but only froze with a big tree blocking the vitals. She made the mistake of taking one step & I shot- a whopping 6 yard shot. She made a hard run back down the hill & out of sight at 50 yards.

This is a good sign.
IMG_20140929_184502_018_zps226d5d3f.jpg

Good blood trail.
IMG_20140929_184554_617_zps5c33ad33.jpg

Found her right where I lost sight of her. Terrible picture I know.
IMG_20140929_192739_710_zps2a911b7e.jpg

Entrance
IMG_20140929_193045_693_zpscc78e891.jpg

Lethal shot
IMG_20140929_194047_000_zps052db60c.jpg

I have to say, I really like the Viper Trick heads. They fly great, are really sharp, and very tough heads.

3 hours later I finally got her to my truck thanks to the land owner & his Polaris Ranger. I had to drag 200 yards up hill (cliff) to get to the field edge. Got her registered by phone, hung in the garage, and skinned out last night. Plan to have her in the freezer tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats!
    Very nice looking doe and great shot.
    Our season opens up tomorrow and I plan on going out after work.
    I do not want to shoot one because I know the work involved afterwards, getting it, loading it in truck, hang, skin, bone.....work at 6 am next day, but, I know I won't pass up a shot either. [;)]
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Congrats!
    Very nice looking doe and great shot.
    Our season opens up tomorrow and I plan on going out after work.
    I do not want to shoot one because I know the work involved afterwards, getting it, loading it in truck, hang, skin, bone.....work at 6 am next day, but, I know I won't pass up a shot either. [;)]

Good point about the 6am shift the day after.... I got to bed just after midnight last night. Alarm went off 4 hours later to go to work. Not fun! Also the drag almost was more than I could manage. I had 3 ropes in my pack. Tied them all together and drug her only as far as I had to. Hills are very steep in that part of the state.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the harvest and awesome shot placement. I just put out a camera up at the farm today. Will hunt next week and hopefully have some pics from the camera to post here.

My oldest brother in Tennessee got a nice doe Saturday. Our season opens here Saturday 10-4, but I have to work. Will hunt on the 7th, 8th and 9th.

Once again, good shooting!!

Don
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats, great shot placement. I hope to be able to get out this weekend.