In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

X-bolts/bheads for moose

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
I realize arrow/bolt material and brand and broadhead selection is about as personal as choice of spouse. What I'm looking for is input with experience behind it.
I'm NOT an experienced bowhunter. I've killed a few deer with my cross bow. I was offered the chance to participate in an archery only Canadian moose hunt next year. My friend who offered is a long time bowhunter but seems to jump on every new trend and swaps broadheads more often than I can afford. I can't bring myself to trust mechanicals and lean toward the old school designs.
Finally, the question. What would you choose with a short reason for the choice? I'm using a Barnett crossbow with 22" bolts, 16" power stroke, and approx. 340fps. Currently using NAP 125 Thunderheads and Muzzy 125 three blades. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I am not a crossbow shooter nor have I hunted moose but, looking at the 2 heads you suggested, I'd go with the Muzzy.
    They resemble the head I shoot, Trophy Ridge Ultimate Steel.
    I just love the chiseled tip. It just eats thru ribs . Whitetails do not know what hit them.
    I agree with you on the mechanical's. I am not a fan either.
  • willie332willie332 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After almost 30 yrs of bowhunting, last fall I got to experience my 1st crossbow hunt. I was using a Barnett Ghost 400. I screwed on my old trusty Muzzy's and couldnt get them to fly straight. Now mind you, I believe Musszy make a crossbow head, which I did not try, but didn't look much different in design except it looked more compact. (which is im guessing to cut down on wind planning which is why most likely my standard Muzzy's weren't flying right because of the increased seed)So, in 30 yrs of never using a expandable, I thought it might be the answer so after looking at several crossbow blogs decided to try the Grim Reaper. Well, they flew like darts and the small 8pt I shot with them made, it about 20yds after taking out one entire shoulder blade, one lung and top of heart. I was very impressed with them. Unless your fixed heads are made specifically for crossbows, you might have issues with the increased speed using standard verticle bow broadheads, well that's what I found out anyways, others with more experience might say different. Whatever you pick, fixed or expandable, make sure they are crossbow specific.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Muzzy 125 3 blade on carbon express bolts with suitable accuracy. Not quite as good as Thunderhead 125's on 2219 Eastons but plenty good for hunting out to 50 yards. The Thunderheads were a no-go on the carbon express bolts.
    I've been very satisfied with the penetration of the Thunderheads on deer but have been advised the Muzzy is better if heavy bone is hit.