In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rage broadheads whats your opinion.??

jdr308jdr308 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
So my brother and I decided to use rage broadheads this year- from our experience these things just dont work... I shot at a buck last weekend ( missed) and when I pulled my arrow out of the ground I noticed that the blades never opened up.. I figured it was because the dirt was so dense and didnt think to much of it. My brother shot a nice doe this morning with his ( rage broadheads) and it broke off in the deer and never opened up either. He had to take a second shot to stop it from trying to get up and that one didnt open up either.!! A guy at a local store said that I must need my bow tuned up and that you could shoot these things through a sheet of paper and they will open up, Did I just happen to get a bad box of broadheads or are you guys seeing the same thing.???? Please give me your feedback... thanks.!

Comments

• joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    id be interested to hear any feed back as well. i just bought a package of them. 40 bucks for 3[xx(]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I never had any problems like that when I shot them
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My buddy uses them, and from what I've seen they are devastating. That being said, I really owe this board a debt of gratitude for getting me off my thunderhead addiction, and into a box of Slick Tricks. Those suckers leave a better hole, and fly truer.

Ben
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure but...Dont the slick tricks have a smaller cutting diam. than thunderheads? How do they leave a bigger hole? I've been shooting Thunderheads myself for 20 yrs. Its not that I love them, but for me they are reliable. Ive tried other heads and had nothing but problems. Atleast I know when I screw on a thunderhead the broadhead is one thing I know I will not have a problem with. I figured if its not broke, dont fix it.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had any troubles with the rage..

Ragehole.jpg

GetAttachmentRage11point.jpg

shane2-1Rage.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care for the Rage heads. I had 2 of the 3 I tried break off at the ferrel where it screws into the shaft.

My friend shot a doe a week ago in NW WI. The head did not hit any heavy bone, but the front cutting blade was folded over, and one of the main blades was bent 90 degrees to the side. It did do a number on the deer, and she only went 60 yards.

Here is a picture of the heart.... ****caution- Graphic!****

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/dcso3009/IMG00017-20101031-1019.jpg
  • THETEXAN2THETEXAN2 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have carried them in My quiver but they always seem to flop around loosley so I dont have confidence in them staying closed while I shoot. I just Grim Reeper My deer to death !
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    Iv shot the 3 blade rages for 3 years now and have taken 6 deer and one hog with them and have never had a problem, have had pass though on all but one of them and that was bcause of the angel of the shot, hit the far shoulder in the ball joint but she went down right there
    all have gone down from 1 yard to 50 yards [:D]
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by THETEXAN2
    I have carried them in My quiver but they always seem to flop around loosley so I dont have confidence in them staying closed while I shoot. I just Grim Reeper My deer to death !

they are a pain in the * about opening up in the quiver but I solved that my putting a rubberband that my daughter uses with her braces [}:)][:D] works perfect
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I will stick with my slick tricks
  • ParasailbobbyParasailbobby Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM! They do great on shots the require no penetration. You cant rebuild then and the O-rings make it hard to keep them closed walking through the woods
  • chasemdownchasemdown Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the 2 blade rages an love them never had any problem with them they fly the exact same as my field tips i have also used slick tricks an Imo Rages are better.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chasemdown
    I use the 2 blade rages an love them never had any problem with them they fly the exact same as my field tips i have also used slick tricks an Imo Rages are better.

I used the rage and never had a complete pass threw, lost a lot of arrows from the deer falling on them and breaking them. Switched to the slick trick started getting passthrews. in fact every one has beena pass threw since. that sold me. Both heads kill'em just as dead as the other tho.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard nothing but good on them, however I have no exp with them. I have been looking at the rage II, I have always used Gold Tip Gladiators. they are Mech also, but have not been made since 2000 or so. I have killed 5 Elk and a turkey with them. they fly like a field tip. three of the Elk were taken the same arrow and broad head, this Bull I just got broke my arrow when he fell otherwise I could have went for more with that arrow.
    Richard
  • JayHPJayHP Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not a fan of em..