In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What "Heads" ya using-tryin this season?

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was debating wether or not to try somethin new again. Anyone else goin with something new/different this season?...Or are you stickin with your old favorites?....

Comments

• edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Sticking with my old favorites. they have not let me down yet.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sticking with my good old Thunderheads. I do like the looks of a lot of the new heads coming out. I was never a fan of mechanical heads but I think the new stuff out is leaps and bounds above what was available years ago. Obviously, the Rage heads get a lot of hype and I like the G5 heads and the NAP Bloodrunners
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool...Got so many in the box I've tried over the years but probly just gonna go again with the 2 rage 2-blader's I have left.......
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    I was debating wether or not to try somethin new again. Anyone else goin with something new/different this season?...Or are you stickin with your old favorites?....

You too ,huh.

I've used 100gr Rocket Sidewinders for 13yrs.

I'm thinking of giving Grim Reaper a try in what ever they have that compares to my current broadheads.

I started using micro diameter shafts (Easton Full Metal Jacket) arrows 4 years ago. Rocket doesn't make a broadhead that goes on a small diameter shaft. The problem I have with the shaft/arrow combo is terrible wind drag.

The head is ALOT bigger than the shaft and when the arrow flyies through the air the wind going over the large diameter head flowing onto the small shaft cause considerable loss in speed. ALOT!

I can set my 5 pins with field points at 20, 30, 40, 50, & 60 yrds. When I screw on my broadhead my 40yrd pin is 10" low. 40yrds is the farthest I am willing to shoot at a deer at the current time & this has bit me in the @ss before.

I used to use Gold Tip arrows, but it seemed like one year everytime I shot I would hit a tenny little limb and the shaft would snap. My archery guy said the shaft snapped because it was in the flex stage(archers paralax) and if something touches it, snap!

The Gold Tip arrows never had this problem with drag and they were the same length and gr/in. They were the same size as my heads.

This isn't the broadheads fault, or the shafts fault. I just have a bad combo of products.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I used to try new ones every year til I used Slick Trick, I'm stickin with them for a while
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    sticking with the tricking
  • chasemdownchasemdown Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 Blade rage:)
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trophy ridge meat seeker here
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    125 gr NAP Spitfire's . 2 for 2 last year with them , if I do 1/2 as well this year , I'll be happy .
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G5 Strikers. Sharpest head I ever cut my fingers with... oh wait ever used. These heads are not a large cut, not a mechanical, not anything but sharp! They have worked well for me. Every deer hit has been down in sight, and most inside 50 yards. Oh and after being shot through a deer, into the ground, and used as a practice head for 2 years, is still sharper than most blades come out of the package!
    I can't find a reason to try a new head... unless someone wants to pay me to use them. No sign of that happening anytime soon.
  • BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Set up a ground blind right off my new food plot. Second evening and used my last grim reaper on a large doe at 15 yds quartering toward me, got lung and liver and she went 50yds and dropped. Not real happy with those reapers, or any mechanicals. Trying phat heads on any bucks and back to my thunderheads 100 fixed. That muzzy four blade, cut on contact looks interesting. Hope everyone has a good season. Hunt safe.[:D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Thanks to the guys on here, I finally beat my thunderhead addiction, and I also will be stickin' with the slick tricks!

Ben