In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone shooting anything?

saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went up to the farm for the weekend and saw nothing all day Fri and Sat, but I got a smallish doe on Sunday morning. Not much moving in the woods with all the corn up. But, I put a little meat in the freezer.

Anyone else having any luck?

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too warm here in north MO. The local Share the Harvest processor informed me he's charging hunters $25 to donate a deer so I'm not participating. It's going to have to be at least 10 degrees colder than it has been before I even go hunting.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats. I have not even seen any yet. I'm hoping that will change in the near future.
  • saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Too warm here in north MO. The local Share the Harvest processor informed me he's charging hunters $25 to donate a deer so I'm not participating. It's going to have to be at least 10 degrees colder than it has been before I even go hunting.

I hear you. It's been in the 70s here all week. I may get out this weekend. It's nice just to sit in the calm even if it's too warm and not seeing anything. We always go to the farm first weekend of October, otherwise I wouldn't have put in much effort myself, but kinda glad I did.
    edited November -1
    It's cooled off here some and I found time to put up one ladder stand that I can reach w/o too much effort. I spent 4 hours on the brush hog cutting lines in the 100 acres of tall grass but didn't get any stands up there.
    We're not seeing the numbers of deer we saw last year. I've heard this comment from other hunters as well. I haven't found any carcasses so it may just be that there's more green for them than last year. At this time last year, I regularly saw 15-25 does and fawns in a secluded hay field but not now.
  • turkeyhunter36089turkeyhunter36089 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I killed a nice 8 point, somewhere in the mid 120's which is better than average for my part of Alabama. First arrow I have flung since 2010.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swing & a miss here. Stupid easy shot too. I got lazy and dropped my bow arm rather than bend at the waist. In my defense he was closer to the base of the tree than I was! 45' up, and 10 yards out. I don't normally take that shot, but he was already spooked by my scent at the base of the tree & jumped back to the 10 yards where I missed.

Lesson learned. Got out an old 3D target & pounded broadheads for 2 hours from the stand. Down side- my abs are killing me from using the climber!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by turkeyhunter36089
    I killed a nice 8 point, somewhere in the mid 120's which is better than average for my part of Alabama. First arrow I have flung since 2010.

A 120 is a good deer for sure and a really nice deer in Alabama I hear. Congratulations.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by dcso3009
    Swing & a miss here. Stupid easy shot too. I got lazy and dropped my bow arm rather than bend at the waist. In my defense he was closer to the base of the tree than I was! 45' up, and 10 yards out. I don't normally take that shot, but he was already spooked by my scent at the base of the tree & jumped back to the 10 yards where I missed.

Lesson learned. Got out an old 3D target & pounded broadheads for 2 hours from the stand. Down side- my abs are killing me from using the climber!
    [/quote

Too bad. 45' up may be part of the problem. A little high isn't it. Some of my stands are pretty high and high enough some guys complain about them and there only 25-28 ft. At 45' I'd be hugging the tree most of the time.
    edited November -1
    I took a nice doe tonight. I was in my stand for about 15 minutes. I was lucky all the way around because I missed her walking at 30 yds on my first shot, and got another shot at her at the same distance. Second shot was pretty far back on a quartering away angle, but she piled up in my sight at about 40 yds.
    I led her too much on my first shot.

What say you guys, whistle or mouth bleat to stop them or shoot at them while walking? I've done both with varying results.
    edited November -1
    45' is way too high for me. 12-16' is my max and sitting on the ground often works here.
    I don't whistle anymore due to nerve damage on the left side of my face so a fawn sounding mouth bleat is what I use to stop them.
    edited November -1
    Not to be defensive, but the 45' was for 2 reasons....

1st - scent control. This is on the back side of a large ridge, over a river bottom. The wind swirls there really bad, and at any height less than 30' they smell you and run. Lots of guys have tried to hunt this area, only 1 other I know successful, and he also hunted from high up.

2nd - Visibility. The primary area I plan to shoot is not on the same level as the tree I sit in. The above mentioned hill has several levels to it. Going to 45' allows me to shoot 30 yards to a heavy trail on the hillside. This is where I had the buck on camera almost daily going to water at the river. For some reason he turned and came down a different trail.

The only way I hunt that high up is with my Summit climber and using a safety harness! Most of my hunting is from a more normal height, under 25 feet. This is one of 3 trees I go over 30', and the others are spots I hunt with the rifle, not the bow.
    edited November -1
    saserbyOriginally posted by dcso3009

1st - scent control. This is on the back side of a large ridge, over a river bottom. The wind swirls there really bad, and at any height less than 30' they smell you and run. Lots of guys have tried to hunt this area, only 1 other I know successful, and he also hunted from high up.

2nd - Visibility. The primary area I plan to shoot is not on the same level as the tree I sit in. The above mentioned hill has several levels to it. Going to 45' allows me to shoot 30 yards to a heavy trail on the hillside. This is where I had the buck on camera almost daily going to water at the river. For some reason he turned and came down a different trail.

The only way I hunt that high up is with my Summit climber and using a safety harness! Most of my hunting is from a more normal height, under 25 feet. This is one of 3 trees I go over 30', and the others are spots I hunt with the rifle, not the bow.

[/quote]sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Sounds like you have a plan.
    +1 on summit climbers. I love mine and feel totally safe at any height.
    edited November -1
    saserbyOriginally posted by dcso3009

[/quote]sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Sounds like you have a plan.
    +1 on summit climbers. I love mine and feel totally safe at any height.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the kill. I usually do a mouth grunt or bleat. Usually works just fine.
    Lets see some pics of the deer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Congrats on the kill. I usually do a mouth grunt or bleat. Usually works just fine.
    Lets see some pics of the deer.

We didn't take any field pics. Tomorrow I'll take a pic of the three hanging in my shed. The one I shot Friday night, and the ones my buddy and I took on Sat morning.[:D][:D] All does. We'll start butchering tomorrow after work.
    edited November -1
    th_RAC10_zps41fc27fc.jpg
    This is the one I missed. The video does not play in the imbedded link, but you can go to my photobucket account and see it there. He has gone totally nocturnal now.
    edited November -1
    These are the deer we took over the weekend. I took one doe Friday night and one Sat morning. My buddy took the fawn Sat morning. I forgot to take a pic while they were still hanging, so they're in my truck. We butchered two tonight.

October_2013.jpg
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck-Ever thought about one of those "silent" dog whistles? They do in fact work[;)] And 12'-15" is just right[;)]