In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Infection question.

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
I saw a doe open morning, Oct 1. She had already found a bowhunter because she had an arrow sticking out of the top of her back. Right in the loin. Probably only about 2 inches of arrow in.
I saw her last weekend when I shot my buck and again last night she was feeding 75 yards from me.
I'm thinking shoot her if I have the chance cause even though she's made it over a month it can't feel good having a broadhead in ya, but I'm giving all of the meat being infected a 50/50 chance.
Gotta a chance of just the area of the wound being infected but infections do travel the blood stream.
Hate to shoot on just to leave it but don't me or my family getting sick either.
Your opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a good question chief. I dont really know the answer but what I do know is that I have shot a handfull of deer over the yrs that I have pulled broadheads and shafts out of and I ate the deer and had no problem. A few had gang green around the wound. I didnt really think too much into it, just cut the bad meat away and ate the rest. Now that I think of it maybe that wasnt the wisest thing. I think you need to see the extent of the damage to the meat and then make a decision. Its probably not worth getting sick over.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest being generous on the area that you trim out.

Keep your knife clean and scrub it or use a second one after the area is excised.

You are cooking the good/saved meat also ... not eating it raw ... that ought to be a good bit of assurance to you.

If I were to discover after dropping her that she had a systemic infection, only then would I back off from utilizing the meat.

If I had dogs, she'd then be used as dog food. Dogs can use meats that we do not manage as readily.

When I lived in Alaska and Nevada both, I had near enough dogs and all game meat and by products that did not go onto our table, went to keeping our pack happy and content. To them it was all liek our favorite dessert. They'd be quite tickled and knew they were being aptly rewarded. [;)]

Good luck with your endeavors. [^]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I butcher all my deer.

I did a buck one year that had either a puncture from an antler from fighting or some foriegn object in it's hind quarter.

It had a pocket of puss or gang green in the eye of round piece on it's butt check.

When I cut into it it ozzed a bunch out. I did like Allen said, cut a BIG piece out around it. Never got sick, and meat tasted fine.

Another thing, if you don't see shaft or broadhead sticking out it's enough to assume she probly got the arrow and head worked out.

I have butched deer with patches of hair missing about 8" circle were they have healed from wounds and car collisions.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have butchered many deer that have had wounds, I would shoot her take her out of pain. I shot a doe once with only three legs her front left hoof was gone. That whole leg was still pretty clean.