In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Action is picking up

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
I've been seeing more deer movement since the temps are down. Yesterday I saw lots of pickups with stands and ATV's on trailers while I was in town. Don't know if it's bowhunters or guys setting up for the youth season on the 31st.
My neighbors have moved the wheelchair ramp up so I guess they're going to be here. They have a Grandson who's wheelchair bound and he's grown beyond just lifting him in and out of vehicles. They built a ramp to load him--chair and all onto the back of a Ranger for the ride to the deer house.

Comments

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went out this morning hugged in close to a bedding area and didn't see a thing. Here in Ohio the "feels like" temp hasn't made it out of the 30's. Wind picked up this afternoon but I am headed out shortly to hunt down in a bottom area over looking a field maybe it will pan out tonight, have seen 3 scrapes and a few rubs pop up in the last few days.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw the "east hayfield" buck as I was heading for town in the pre-dawn this morning. He was in the neighbor's yard with his 8 point buddy. They didn't hang around long when the headlights hit them. I saw them twice in October 2014 and twice this fall. Not a "big, giant, monster" deer like the TV guys talk about but I'd definitely stick an arrow in him.
    Probably going to set up a ground blind for youth season in two weeks.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunted up at the farm all day yesterday and brought a guest. He saw 5 doe and 12 turkey. No shots available on any. I did not see anything, but did find several fresh rubs and a scrape that looked like it had been made that morning.

I set up a game camera at the farm and will be back up there next Saturday to swap out SD cards. I'll share any big buck pics next Sunday if any are on it.

We got our first frost here this morning @32 degrees and the high only getting to 58 today and tomorrow. With the moon being full again on October 27th, the next 2 weeks should be outstanding for whitetail hunting.

Good luck to all. Don
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Haven't seen too much going on here.
    Did have a real nice buck on cam with a very large neck tho. Middle of the night, of course.
    edited November -1
    "Did have a real nice buck on cam with a very large neck tho"

The bigger of the two bucks I saw had a big neck(I didn't see the smaller one well enough to really tell). I saw a smaller buck hot on the trail of a doe(actually chasing her) two weeks ago.
    Son's billy goat is starting to "rut up" and has been rubbing trees and stinks to high heaven.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watched two 1.5 old bucks chase a doe last Saturday. We had an extreme cold front through Ohio and even snow in some areas. In my experience in my area the best hunting has always been halloween - November 10th. The past few years it seems the action doesn't pick up until November 5-20. Hopefully this is a good sign!
    edited November -1
    We were out last evening looking around after I failed to find the amount of deer sign I expected in the areas where I usually find lots of activity. It appears that most of the traffic is biased toward the last remaining soybean field in the area. It may be somewhat of a struggle to get Grandson in position to monopolize on this movement.
    Deer count for an hour of bopping around and scoping out the more open areas: 3 small bucks, 3 does, and 2 fawns. This number is far below usual and reflects the ongoing population drop due to disease and Mo Dept of Conservation mismanagement.