In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do I use left eye on right handed bow?

skysoldier173dskysoldier173d Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
An old gunshot would similar to what happened to Rep. Gabby in Tuscon occurred to me during my 2d Vietnam tour and recently the gunpowder & small bullet shrapnel in my head/brain migrated to behind what used to be my good (right side) eye and the resulting scar tissue grew and grew until my optic nerve was strangled & left me sightless in that I.
I have been right handed, right sighted all of my life until 2000 when the good eye started going caput.

My question is: Can I still use my right handed bows, rifles, shotguns and teach myself to sight the right handed bow with my left hand. Is this conceivable or practical? Or do I need to teach myself left-handed shooting?

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I would suggest going with a left handed bow. just my .02 tho
  • skysoldier173dskysoldier173d Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks bang for the advice. I have been using my left-hand left eye on my 12 ga. pump shotgun and I seem to be adjusting okay to that. I was hoping to fore go the larger expense of replacing the compound bow. I bought a decent cross bow but haven't tried it out much at this time. I think the cross bow will work out okay. But it's hard to beat the effectiveness of a compound bow. Thanks again,

Ern in NC
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have a hard time finding anchor points if you go left eye right hand pull. If you can over come that, than by all means do what you want. However, you would be better off with a left handed bow. What sucks about left handed bows is they are almost always going to be a special order item and cost more than a right handed bow.
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much for your thoughts and the reply! I'll be considering both of your recommendations. Ern

You will have a hard time finding anchor points if you go left eye right hand pull. If you can over come that, than by all means do what you want. However, you would be better off with a left handed bow. What sucks about left handed bows is they are almost always going to be a special order item and cost more than a right handed bow.
    [/quote]
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered a cross bow with a scope?
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are ways to do some funky stuff with bow sights. I haven't seen one that was set up for a right handed shooter sighting with his left eye but I bet it could be done.

There is a guy locally here who does not have the use of his right arm. He holds the string in his teeth (back in his molars) with a special tab on the string and I believe his sight setup is modified to make it all work. He's a good shot.

I've also seen a video of a blind shooter who has a buddy who sits or stands behing him and sights for him and tells him where to move the bow and when to shoot. Those weren't normal sights either.

Talk to some people at archery pro shops. They might have some good ideas.
  • BAREFOOTGATORBAREFOOTGATOR Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I AM RIGHT HANDED LEFT EYE DOMINANT AND HAVE TO SHOOT LEARN TO OVER CAME THE PROB.I DO NOT THINK I WOULD TRY AND SHOOT A BOW RIGHT HANDED
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much for the information John, [:)]

Ernie
  • jimfasterjimfaster Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are interested in archery, bow hunting in particular, you know the difference between the arcs of the left hand and right handed bows. Bow hunting is a sport legal, a form of archery. It involves finding and targeting different live matches, including deer and rabbits. Because archery is dependent on the hand and eye coordination, it is important to use the equipment and ensure it is properly adapted to the participant.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a red dot.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Just close both eyes like Taco does LOL [:D]