In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Archery doe down!!

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
I had not planned on hunting today due to the residual winds and rain from the hurricane. This afternoon things started clearing up and I decided to get in an evening hunt on some property I've never hunted before. I got in my stand at 3:30 and at 5:30, 4 deer were under me feeding on white oak acorns. 3 doe and a small buck. I took the biggest of the doe and she ran 30 yards and piled up. Good way to start the season.

Don
2015doe_zpsjaaahkiw.jpg

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Very nice.
    Congrats!
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats Don! I had luck seeing deer as well with the hurricane beginning to clear up it seemed the deer were up and on their feet early.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to get it started. Congrats
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you, congrats! Out of curiosity..does that doe end your season or can you harvest multiple deer? Here, once..if, I shoot a doe..my entire deer season is done regardless of bow/gun/muzzleloader. We have a few exceptions with permit areas and special draw hunts, but I dream of the day I can buy a doe tag AND shoot a buck in the same year
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    Good for you, congrats! Out of curiosity..does that doe end your season or can you harvest multiple deer? Here, once..if, I shoot a doe..my entire deer season is done regardless of bow/gun/muzzleloader. We have a few exceptions with permit areas and special draw hunts, but I dream of the day I can buy a doe tag AND shoot a buck in the same year

Here in Virginia, we can take 6 deer per season regardless of weapon used. You can "tag out" and take them all with archery, muzzleloader or firearm if you choose or any combination of weapon used. East of the Blue Ridge Mountains you can take 3 bucks and 3 doe or all 6 doe. 3 tags are marked "Either sex" and 3 are marked "antlerless only". West of the Blue Ridge is 2 either sex and 3 antlerless only. You can also buy "bonus tags" that are good for doe only and only can be used on private land. The average yearly harvest ranges from 180,000 to 220,000 per year and the estimated herd size is over 1 million deer within the state.
  • wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, that will be some fine eating. I hope to get out this weekend myself.