In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ok guys I have been out of the loop

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
On Bows for a long time. My last Competition bow in the 1980's was a 4 wheel Browning Compound.

I am looking to get back into it (Casual Shooting)

I am looking at this one-
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Regulator-Camo-Bow-Package-Powered-by-BowTech/1587110.uts?WTz_l=Home%3Bcat106612380

or this one-
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/#/productBreakdown?r=products_products&i=15

Other recommendations?

Thanks![:)]

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://missionarchery.com/product/craze/
    This would be my choice. This is the "Do anything" bow. Very adjustable, to fit kids to large adults. You can hunt with it if you want. If you decide to sell for any reason they are an easy sale since L/R hand is the only thing that can be wrong.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input! One of my old HS class mates has a bow/gun shop just up from my work. Good guy! but a fast hard talker and I need to get my knowledge half assadly up to date so I don't get sold an over price POS.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Franc
    What exactly are you looking for in a bow? New/used? I see lots of bows come and go, some are great deals, but they go fast. I am starting to work more at the local shop I frequent (Mathews, Mission, & Bear lines).

I'd be happy to help on accessories too. Some are good, some are good value, and some are junk. Make sure anything you look at is at least of good quality. Often it costs more, but usually well worth it.
    edited November -1
    Primary will be target shooting, but I also might start bow hunting again. Things have come a loooong way since I shot last. I do want to do the fit and feel before anything.

Also. I need to figure out my new draw length now that I am 28+ years older now. One method puts me a 28" another puts me at 29.25...

It's been fun researching all the new stuff out there, been one hell of an eye opener![:D]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BowTech & Diamond (like GMC & Chevy) are great bows.

PSE's line of parallel limb designs are one of the latest new fangled design boasting the greatest speed.

There are a lot of people who love Mathews line of bows.

Parker has a good line as well.

There has been all kinds of new names in the last 5-8 years.

Martin, Pearson & Bear were big names in the past and still good bows.

I can say w/o prejudice that most all the manufactures out today make good quality bows. When you decide on what shape & brand then start asking about specific models because all brands have those one or two models they wished they never released.

I like Cabela's, but I would go to a local mom & pop shop for a bow. If you need a tweak, arrows fletched, strings, service....ect, they will remember your purchase and put you above other customers and get you in & out.

I'm a PSE guy myself. I have always owned one since I was 18(many models as new stuff comes out).

I have a AR-34 (Archery Research) that is owned & made by PSE.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Primary will be target shooting, but I also might start bow hunting again. Things have come a loooong way since I shot last. I do want to do the fit and feel before anything.

Also. I need to figure out my new draw length now that I am 28+ years older now. One method puts me a 28" another puts me at 29.25...

It's been fun researching all the new stuff out there, been one hell of an eye opener![:D]

I'll guess the price was the eye opener. Use to be able to find anything around $400 & if you spent $600 you were a rich MF.[:D]
    edited November -1
    The bow I had 1982-83 State of the art browning compound $450.[:)] It was a great shooter to!
    DSC01065-1.jpg
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking to get back into it as well.
    Noticed Martin is one of the most affordable names out there.
    Cant spring for a Matthews or Hoyt.
    Have been told also that Matthews bows only accept their own accesories.
    Is the same true of their Mission line?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Hoping to keep the whole package under $600 and most used stuff I see is already outdated.
    Arrivederci gigi
    edited November -1
    PSE DNA- I like it! Going to try a few more.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    Looking to get back into it as well.
    Have been told also that Matthews bows only accept their own accesories.
    Is the same true of their Mission line?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Hoping to keep the whole package under $600 and most used stuff I see is already outdated.

Absolutely false! There are some very nice accessories from Mathews that fit their bows, and some only fit Mathews bows since they fit into holes in the riser. All Mathews and Mission bows will work with any common accessories.

I would suggest a trip to several different shops. Shoot them -in your draw length and desired weight- and decide which feels best, then look at the price, and last at the name on the bow.

The whole package under $600 can be done easily in the Mission line or easily in the used Mathews lines as well.
    Same for others.... You wouldn't get a Bowtech equipped for that price, but could in the Diamond line....