In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Broadheads

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
what kind of broadhead do you guy use for bowhunting? expandable or fixed blade. i have these true fire expandables that the tip of the broadhead gets pushed in when it hits the deer and causes the blades to expand. any of you guys use something similar?

Comments

• IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What heads are you shooting this year. Anyone have any experience with rage broad heads on elk? I am newer to bow hunting but thinking either toxics or rage
    edited November -1
    Ok, I heard that the compact bows out today that are super fast, need to have a mech. broadhead in them instead of a fixed broadhead, in order for them to fly correctly. and if you attempt to use a fixed, you HAVE to have a helical on the fletchings.....Is this true? I wonder cause I am having trouble getting my broadheads to fly true, and yes, my bow has been paper tuned.
    edited November -1
    Ok, We have the bow survey, and the whisker biscuit survey, Time for a broadhead survey. How many use mechanical. I use a fixed blade.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sticking to fixed blades. No faith in the expandables even though they shoot like target points. The old standby-NAP 125 Thunderheads on 2219 aluminum and as a trial this year, Muzzy 125's on Carbon Express. Actually, the only reason I'm trying the Muzzy is because I can't get the accuracy I want using the Thunderheads on carbon shafts. I got a windfall on lighted nocks for the carbons and really want to use them so will make the effort to shift to carbon/Muzzy if all works out.
  • McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to give the G5 Montec CS a try this year. Since I don't have that high of a draw weight, the cut on contact design will definitely help with penetration.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a 3 pack of Rage a few years ago. Never again! The first one did great.... on a coyote. The 2nd one was great... on a pheasant. The 3d one on a whitetail doe sheared off where it screws into the insert.

Check the laws where you want to hunt. Some funny laws out there on Broadheads. Like here in MN... The 2 blade Bloodrunner is too big. Can't be over 2".

Since that I have shot G5 Strikers. No disappointment other than I have broken a few hitting rocks, trees, wood, and other material they are not intended for.

This year I am headed to Colorado on an elk/mule deer hunt. My head of choice this year is the Viper Trick. That on the front of a Victory VAP 350, Stainless insert, 4" feathers. Arrow weight of 505 gr. Throw that out at 270FPS should work just fine.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long time Muzzy shooter; it ain't broke,so I ain't fixin' it.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Rocket "Side Winders" for 16 years.(100gr 1.5" cut)

All deer nothing else.
    edited November -1
    Maybe I should have posted.... I will not consider any mechanical broadhead for big game use.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I use a fixed 125 gr Rocket Ultimate Steel head. It has the .035 "Bacon Skinner" blades and a turned chisel point. They haven't failed me yet.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thunderhead 100's for 25 years.
  • saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I switched to Rage 2 blade 100 grain, chisel point last year. Love them. Very accurate. No moving my sights between field tips and hunting heads. Four dead deer last year, no problems. Never tried on elk. I will say this though, one time use unless you get really lucky. Those blades bend easy. I fought the mechanical blade craze for years, but I'm squarely on the bandwagon now.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they ever quit making the model I shoot I'm definitely going to try the Grimm Reaper models comparable to what I currently have.

I've heard too many bad & good things about Rage. They either put a hole the size of a baseball in an animal or they never open at all from what my hunting buddies say that use them.
    edited November -1
    I picked up 2 packages of the new Viper Tricks last night. I forgot how sharp the tricks are out of the package! My bleeding fingers prove that! Also they fly like a dream. My arrows are not all that fast now that they are 505gr, but still spot on with my field points. I have had problems in the past flying other heads.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one word, MUZZY