In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hoyt Katera XL

DeerquiverDeerquiver Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Hi all I'm not sure if this is where to put this question, But here it goes I just got a new Hoyt Katera XL 70# Compound Bow and I'm having trouble getting the arrows to fly straight with broadheads I mean it shoots perfect (dead on) with 31" 2219 xx75 arrows and 125gr target points but when I put 100gr broadheads fixed blades or mechanical on it wants to shoot low and to the left and it seems no matter what I do I cant get it to shoot straight does anyone have any ideals what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.We have a Bow Hunting Section on the Forums....Give them a chance to help You out.....Best

Comments

• DeerquiverDeerquiver Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a new Hoyt Katera XL 70# Compound Bow and I'm having trouble getting the arrows to fly straight with broadheads I mean it shoots perfect (dead on) at 20 yards up to 50 yards with 31" 2219 xx75 arrows and 125gr target points with a trophy ridge whisker biscuit rest just like my old bow had. But when I put 100gr broadheads fixed blades or mechanical on, it wants to shoot low and to the left and it seems no matter what I do I cant get it to shoot straight. I was trying to tune the bow for shooting broadheads so I could get it ready for hunting next season. Does anyone have any ideals what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    You have shot paper (paper tuned) with the broad heads I assume, And adjusted your rest and all that[?] I Had a rest that would shoot targets all day long but put broad heads on it, was night and day difference...... In my case It was my rest But Im not smart enough to trouble shoot your question but I believe you will get more help Posting this in the Archery forum[:I][:)] Lots of Very Knowledgeable folks over there[^] But I never underestimate The Experts here either[8D]
    edited November -1
    Well I was trying to tune (paper tune) the bow for shooting broadheads so I could get it ready for hunting next season I bought a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit Rest for it just like my old bow had and never had an issue with. thanks for the info on the archery forum I will post this there thanks for the help.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st thing I would try is spinning on other broadheads to see where they hit on the paper. It is common to have performance differentials in heads. If these are the arrows you plan to hunt with adjust to them.
    edited November -1
    Yes theses are the arrows I plan to use but I have tried three types of heads and they all do the same thing could the Fletching be messed up in some sort of way
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    could be a varity of things. 2 things strike me odd, first your putting on a lighter head but its shooting low, should be the opposite. second, it shoots fine with FT but not with a BH. It seems to me the only thing your changing is the head and that where your problem starts. I'd try a different head, cheap and easy starting point to finding the problem. I'd also shoot the same weight FT as BH. Here is an article that may be some help to you.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/bow-tuning.php
    edited November -1
    Thanks I will read that now and try it out, I was using the same weight FT & BH but it was hitting really low so that's why I went to a lighter head I even tried mechanical broadheads and they also hit low and to the left
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    First I'd try shooting the same field point weight as the broadheads. Then paper tune. Go to the easton website. It will walk you thru tuning your bow with field tips and broadheads.
    My bow was drilling field tips but when I shot my broadheads they were grouping low and right. A quick look at the Easton website and it told me that I needed to adjust my rest a tad bit. A little goes a long way. I adjusted my rest and it started putting the arrows where they needed to be and still put the field points right.
    good luck to you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    First I'd try shooting the same field point weight as the broadheads. Then paper tune. Go to the easton website. It will walk you thru tuning your bow with field tips and broadheads.
    My bow was drilling field tips but when I shot my broadheads they were grouping low and right. A quick look at the Easton website and it told me that I needed to adjust my rest a tad bit. A little goes a long way. I adjusted my rest and it started putting the arrows where they needed to be and still put the field points right.
    good luck to you.

Well thanks Chief that was the problem my rest was not set right I got it shooting like a charm now Thanks again everyone
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd try different arrows. Not to say the Eastons you are shooting are bad, but arrow spine can be a funny thing. Especially when shooting a hard cam bow like a Katera. I have a Vectrix and have to shoot a stiffer spine than I should need. I'd try some 340 spine CX or 7595 Gold tips. If you where close, I'd just let you try some of mine.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I'd try different arrows. Not to say the Eastons you are shooting are bad, but arrow spine can be a funny thing. Especially when shooting a hard cam bow like a Katera. I have a Vectrix and have to shoot a stiffer spine than I should need. I'd try some 340 spine CX or 7595 Gold tips. If you where close, I'd just let you try some of mine.

Thanks dcso3009 I got her shooting pretty good now
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you got it shooting good.