In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

just not "feeling it" this year

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
I hope the weather changes up some from constantly hot and humid to a little chilly in the morning/evening to put me in the mood for archery season. Opener is coming up soon but I haven't done any stand work or even any looking around except through a windshield. We didn't manage to find a cooler and the processing cost has gone up AGAIN. Can't donate to the "share the harvest" cause that processor went out of business.
Maybe when I start seeing some bucks running around and it's cool enough to hang one and cut it up, I'll be after them.

Comments

• DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its the heat and humidity that puts a damper on the hunting for me. Every year I get "stoked" for the upcoming season when the cool crisp air comes in. Won't be much longer.

Don
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    This weather has kept me from shooting. I was doing pretty good about it until the humidity and 90's crept in.
    I have mowed some trails to my stands and sowed some turnips and rye.
    I re-positioned one stand and need to do one more.
    I'm ready for cooler weather and some tree time.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well today's the first day of archery season and it's cooler BUT the rain prevented me going out. I did take a little cruise on the UTV to see if the renter had moved the last 30 bales of hay. Kind of glad he didn't. Those bales may be in a perfect spot to hunt the BIG 8 point I saw on the fenceline. I mean BIG 8 point. Biggest I've seen for 3 or 4 years.
    Now, if my arthritis will cut me some slack, I may give him a try.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Well today's the first day of archery season and it's cooler BUT the rain prevented me going out. I did take a little cruise on the UTV to see if the renter had moved the last 30 bales of hay. Kind of glad he didn't. Those bales may be in a perfect spot to hunt the BIG 8 point I saw on the fenceline. I mean BIG 8 point. Biggest I've seen for 3 or 4 years.
    Now, if my arthritis will cut me some slack, I may give him a try.

Good luck to you. Post some pics when you get "lucky". [;)]
    edited November -1
    Close but not quite close enough.
    I had to choose between sitting directly in the travel path and sitting quite a ways downwind of the trail. Neither was a suitable option. I did get a good look but can't be sure either of the two 8 pointers I saw were the one I saw earlier. Regardless, both were "shooters". Quite possible there are 3 good sized bucks in the area.
    edited November -1
    I had an interesting experience yesterday. The guy who hunts on the place across the fence called mid-afternoon telling me he'd hit a buck that crossed the fence. He'd followed it(counter to the agreement that he'd call me before doing so) and found it dead IN an old lake.
    He wanted to drive across my place to retrieve the carcass. I told him he was not to enter the water(on my place)w/o a safety rope. Anyhoo, he came to the house and we went and got the now bloated 6 point buck that was 70-80 yards out into waist deep water and the Louisiana hunter left satisfied. It didn't cost me much except an hour of time and I may have gotten some advantage with the rather obstinate and uncooperative out-of-state landowner.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I had an interesting experience yesterday. The guy who hunts on the place across the fence called mid-afternoon telling me he'd hit a buck that crossed the fence. He'd followed it(counter to the agreement that he'd call me before doing so) and found it dead IN an old lake.
    He wanted to drive across my place to retrieve the carcass. I told him he was not to enter the water(on my place)w/o a safety rope. Anyhoo, he came to the house and we went and got the now bloated 6 point buck that was 70-80 yards out into waist deep water and the Louisiana hunter left satisfied. It didn't cost me much except an hour of time and I may have gotten some advantage with the rather obstinate and uncooperative out-of-state landowner.

Good for you. Friendly neighbors are a good thing.
    I had a small problem with one of mine not too long ago.
    All it took was a phone call to him, we got things straight and it has been great ever since.
    If during bow season and I need to cross the line no problem and during firearm season, I just need to call his son to make sure I will not disturb anyone to do a recover. The same goes to them.
    We have a river that separates some of the property and it is nice to know that if either parties have one cross, the guy on the other side will willingly help with recovery.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    havent talked to anyone thats "feeling it" this year
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, our first day of small game was 18 October. I was out squirrel hunting, sitting there minding my own business. All of a sudden this huge bodied 6-7 point comes barreling down the trail at me. At first I thought it must have been a doe being chased by a buck, because no mature buck would be bolting through the woods like that. Well, I was crouched down, watching this buck running at me, trying to decide if I should stay put, or dive off the trail, and how bad it would be to be impaled by a 200# buck. Maybe 10 yards away, if that, he sees me and veers off. Right behind him was this damned coyote! I've never seen that before.

It would have made no difference if I had my bow, I had no clean shot. Went out a coule days after that and didn't spot anything.

The weather here is not cooperating, its been windy, cold, rainy. I don't mind the cold but no one wants to sit in the rain and 20 KT winds trying to ambush deer.