In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turkey Headshots

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Turkey Season opens here in Ohio in a couple weeks. Buddy and I are looking at strictly head shots. We already tuned the bows in out to 40 yards and have our field points hitting within 1/4" of our broad heads! Put the new Magnus Bullheads on and at 20 yards they hit right where I aim. I would recommenced these to anyone looking to turkey hunt with a bow. Either you miss completely or you kill the bird, can't beat that. I would also recommend using a full length arrow and long fletchings. The longer arrow and longer fletchings seem to give you better accuracy IMO.

Comments

• wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck to you. Sounds as if you are right on track to get that turkey. I'm lucky to hit one with a shotgun, no way good enough to use a bow.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Good luck to you.
    Guess we will have to start calling you Decapitator. [:D]
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update -

Have yet to see a mature bird. Missed a jake two weeks ago at 25 with a headshot. Only seen a dozen or so birds, starting to think this past winter has taken a toll on them here in Ohio. [B)]
    edited November -1
    Keep at em. If nothing else, you get major props from me for sticking to you "guns" and trying the head shot on the Jake.
    edited November -1
    Bust for me this year.

However I did learn how to properly tune the bow. Took something away that I never knew before. I have these muzzies flying exactly the same at 10, 20, and 25. Not bad for a fixed blade I'm pretty excited for deer season. Not sure if I will go back to expandables or keep the fixed blade.
    edited November -1
    I only shoot fixed. There are little tricks to get them to fly like a field point.
    I know on one bow, I had to move the rest just a couple hairs one way and field point accuracy all day.
    edited November -1
    Same here chief, tiny little adjustments on the rest go a long way!