In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I want a bow

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
This would be new territory for me.

I have never even shot one but I have a friend who is a big bow hunter and I think I'd like to get into it and learn.

I am a lefty so I believe this complicates my situation a little.

What does it cost to get into owning and shooting a bow?

What are the basics I need to understand?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bows range $350-1000+, then add accesories.

Get measured at a shop for draw length.

Don't go buy the biggest # you can find just because your friends say they shoot them. 55-70# is plenty.I have a 60-70# bow and could use less.

Keep your arm out of the string! Ask my wife.[B)]
  • Options
    jnphiljnphil Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a blast to shoot and quite accurate. Seriously, talk to the shop guys. You will want a trigger release for sure, peep sight on the string and pins sights on the bow (or for a real challenge, go bare). I would not spend a lot of money on a first bow, even consider used, just replace the string. The draw weights are adjustable so start lower and work your way up. I shoot mine at about 60 lbs and it's plenty fast.

Mine is a 25 yr. old browning probably worth all of $75.00 and I can still hit 3" groups at 30 yards. This year I took a buck with a crossbow and it was not nearly as satisfying as my old compound.

You'll have a lot of fun if you give it a try.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like they said go to a shop they will take care of ya. Just go in and determine draw length, dominant eye, what poundage you want, an then scope out some prices. I have shot bear, and Mathews. I have also owned a mission which is a baby brother company through Mathews. I would suggest any of those three companies.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Like they said getting measured is important. you must have the correct draw length. I also agree with consider used for your first one. My first cost me $150, got addicted now I have $1150 in one. good luck and enjoy!!!