In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2015-16 Trail Cam Pictures

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was a bit lazy this summer & didn't get my trail cams out nearly as early as I should have. Especially since I am trying to learn a new spot to hunt. My good spots from last year are not good this year. One spot has almost no deer sign. The other spot, the land owner has allowed many more people in to hunt.

We went out 9-3 in some crazy heat to toss out a few cameras on this new spot. Only been there once before. I did a little "Cyber Scouting" on google earth & county GIS site to get the property boundaries & lay of the land. Set 2 cameras on some game trails 20 & 40 yards into the woods at opposite ends of the property. Both cameras set on 3 shot with a short interval to get the most pictures since we didn't know what to expect.

Camera 1
Pictures 1-3 where of me leaving the tree.
Pictures 4-6 (and a bunch more) where of this guy.
IMAG0006_zps3rjcobaw.jpg[/URL]

Then a few other bucks too.
IMAG0011_zpsns13fqaw.jpg[/URL]

IMAG0067_zpsrkb2bvfq.jpg[/URL]

IMAG0071_zpsf4t3p79g.jpg[/URL]

IMAG0077_zps4l5ejew6.jpg[/URL]

IMAG0157_zpsm1hjbz1b.jpg[/URL]

IMAG0140_zpsm8db33g3.jpg[/URL]

There where a few pictures of a doe, but not many. Also a few turkey pictures, but very few blank shots. Total 327 pictures!

Camera 2 was on a more obscure trail. 138 pictures. Just 3 bucks. All of them legal for the APR zone (4 points on one side for SE MN). 2 of them with wire on the racks! I thought it was maybe shedding velvet, but zooming in shows it is wire.

IMAG0091_zpsle1rxjbg.jpg[/URL]

I'll share more as I get better pictures.

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    Very nice. I would not have a problem with letting an arrow fly at them. I put mine out a couple of weeks ago.
    Got some doe pics and a cool shot of a heron but no bucks. Then, it started acting up on me.
    Might be time to get a new one.
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow great pics and even better bucks!! Are you down in the bluffs?

I dream about deer like those [:p]
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DCSO- Looks like you found a good spot to hunt. I put out my camera last week behind the house and got a few small bucks and several doe. "Bruiser Cruiser" has not showed up yet, but he should be along shortly. I'll post pics if he makes an appearance.
    Don
    4pt15b_zpseoi1drxy.jpg
    4pt15_zps9nrvdtdf.jpg
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Very nice. I would not have a problem with letting an arrow fly at them. I put mine out a couple of weeks ago.
    Got some doe pics and a cool shot of a heron but no bucks. Then, it started acting up on me.
    Might be time to get a new one.

If you are shopping for a camera, I'd suggest the Covert line. I use a few of them. Great camera for really reasonable price. I run 3 MP6 Black, and one MP6. My last camera is a cheap simmons. It takes ok pictures with new batteries, but degrade as the batteries fade. Several family members have old Predator trail cams. They are awesome, but getting old now. Predator went out of business years ago. There are other good cameras out there, but like everything else quality comes at a price.

quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    Wow great pics and even better bucks!! Are you down in the bluffs?

I dream about deer like those [:p]

Houston, Fillmore, Winona Counties mainly. Also hunt closer to home in Olmsted & Goodhue Counties. Unfortunately closer to home is not as good, but much easier than the hour long drive each way.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This guy showed up last night. Its a shame he damaged half his rack, he would have been decent if his rack was symmetrical. Maybe if he makes it through this season he will have a normal rack next year.
    2015%20crooked_zps4th3yp6l.jpg
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whoa he's funky. I've always been under the impression that a drop tine or any other non typical was a result of a injury or some other abnormality???? Meaning, he might be gnarly forever, which in my opinion makes him one of a kind and a hands down, he would end my season type deer. Then again my assumptions are likely incorrect..
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    Whoa he's funky. I've always been under the impression that a drop tine or any other non typical was a result of a injury or some other abnormality???? Meaning, he might be gnarly forever, which in my opinion makes him one of a kind and a hands down, he would end my season type deer. Then again my assumptions are likely incorrect..

If you are wrong then, we both are. [:D]
    I think he looks very cool and I would not hesitate to shoot him.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not fault anyone for choosing to take that buck, or any other deer for that matter. IMO hunters should take any deer they would be happy with. For some that may be a 150" and others that may be any legal deer. It comes down to making sure you enjoy your hunt.
    I would pass if he came by my stand, but that is a personal choice based on the other deer in my area.