In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What pound of a pull do you want for deer hunting?

oddball7465oddball7465 Member Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭
I'm wanting to get into bow hunting, but I don't know what pound of pull to look for. Everyone I know uses a 80-90lb pull. Then looking at used bows they tend to be 70lbs. I can pull a 90lb back, but do I really need all that? What's the minimum pull weight you need to kill a deer, and what is the suggested pull weight?

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I think 40 is the Min. here in Illinois. 80-90 is absolutely insane. I know people blowing threw deer pulling 54 lbs.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    ted nugent keeps saying his bow is set to 40 odd lbs. i know its tv but the deer dont seem to think thats to little.

i believe 45lbs pull is the minimum here in CT.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    depend on your capibilities and how far you plan on shooting.
    15 20 yard 40 lbs will do the trick 20 -30 60 lbs
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a 70# and turned it down to 64#. 50# for the recurve. Dead is dead.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It's important that you can hold draw for about a minute without getting too shakey. Shoot what you are comfortable with. Don't over do it.

Ben
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    My bow is set at 58 Lbs and will kill a deer at 45 yards just fine
  • brbowmanbrbowman Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot 60# with a 28" draw with a 380 grain arrow at 282fps
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in MN the minimum draw weight is only 30lbs for deer & turkey. I shoot 60lbs for hunting. At 60lbs with a G5 Striker 100gr head behind any reasonable arrow shaft has passed through any deer I have shot. This year I went from a Gold Tip 5575 Pro Hunter to a 340 Easton FMJ, and got even more penetration. The heavier arrow carries more momentum (often confused with Kinetic Energy)and will drive deeper. More important than draw weight is sharp broadheads and arrow placement. I'd take a lighter draw weight with good placement over a heavy weight and poor hit. I have seen several animals shot with under 40lbs with the arrow passing through. A smaller diameter fixed blade with a cut on contact tip will really help.

A good pro shop will get you on the right track.
  • chasemdownchasemdown Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot 68 pounds 27 in draw[^]