In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bow/Crossbow as a "prepper" weapon

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
I read an article about this plan and it certainly had some merit. Capable of harvesting game w/o noise. A formidable defense weapon in some cases. Purported to penetrate ballistic vests with some broadheads. Expensive to use for defense since most often, you'll lose the projo.

Comments

• Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be good as a prepper/covert weapon, since it is silent and the rounds are reusable(moreso than live ammo). It probably would be best in an ambush type situation. Fire one-two rounds( or kill one man) then didi-mau.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harvesting game, sure, but I read a different article that mentioned the defensive aspect: the shot will be quiet, but assailants may not die quickly or quietly.

And at more than $100/dozen, that's pretty expensive for ammo that you might get to use a couple times before it shatters/becomes unusable.

$100 will buy you a lot (comparatively) of centerfire handgun ammo, for instance. Generally at least 200 rounds, even at today's prices.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 dozen each of two different shaft/broadhead combinations that shoot well from my Barnett. Hope we don't need to find out if they are suitable for the task(s).