In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Treecoy

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
I saw a hunting show the other night and they used this tactic with much luck.
They cut a small tree down with good, lower hanging, licking branches.
They then used a post hole digger and placed the tree in the field or food plot within bow range of their stand. Then they made a mock scrape.
The deer were drawn to the "Lone Tree". Does and bucks alike.
I'm going to try this next year.
No down side, only upside.

Comments

• MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw that too. On 2 different shows. One was the Drury brothers. Looks like a great idea. I think I may give it a shot too. Might take some experimenting at first. It might work all season. Maybe just pre rut or maybe just rut. Late season probably won't work
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The idea has merit.
    Part of my job involves marking specific areas of crop fields for a multi-month report. To do this, we use bamboo stakes with flagging tape tied to the top driven into the rows at intervals. Since most of the surveyors aren't "hunters" they put lots of tape on their stakes only to find that deer had knocked the stakes over and destroyed the marked rows. I made a presentation last year explaining why this was happening. A deer looks across a soybean field and sees the only object taller than the crop and just has to go check it out. Even a cane pole with 3' of flagging tape will attract the attention of deer.