In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blue Tongue in Central IL

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I've been hearing a lot of talk about blue tongue disease along the Okaw River from Lovington to Bethany in Moultrie Co.

I heard there have been 70 head found around Lovington, dead!!

They have been finding them all around the river. (river bed. river is all dry)

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    15 by my hunting spot outside Lovington.
    Nothing on my other Okaw River bottom ground east of Bethany but then went to a buddies that is 1 1/2 miles east of Bethany and found a 8 pointer.
    Getting very scary.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Its not Bluetongue,. its EHD they are confused a lot and Very similar diseases. We have had 100s of farm deer here for necropsy all EHD positive. One farmer has lost all but 1 and another I talked to has lost half his herd. DNR guy was in the other day said they found 50+ in one place another 20+ at another and yesterday he was back and said another 50 some up in cook county. Once the fields come out we will find hundreds of dead deer and when we hit the woods too. They generally are found near or in water because they run such a High temp.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had blue tounge here in south jersey and it wiped out the deer heard. Didnt see a buck for four years. It was like hunting ghosts for a while. Now the heard is back and we can get back to some hunting.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went Muzzleloader hunting at the farm Sunday afternoon.

I haven't saw any deer since the disease started(Late July/ early August). I walked the perimeter of the woods on 3 sides where the fields butt up to the timber. NO TRACKS!

I walked the creek bed in the woods to check for hoof prints where they cross the creek NO TRACKS!

There are a few main trails inside the woods they use really good, NO TRACKS!

I hope the deer population heals quickly.[:(]
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by bang250
    Its not Bluetongue,. its EHD they are confused a lot and Very similar diseases. We have had 100s of farm deer here for necropsy all EHD positive. One farmer has lost all but 1 and another I talked to has lost half his herd. DNR guy was in the other day said they found 50+ in one place another 20+ at another and yesterday he was back and said another 50 some up in cook county. Once the fields come out we will find hundreds of dead deer and when we hit the woods too. They generally are found near or in water because they run such a High temp.
    [/quot

You say it's not bluetongue but EHD!
    I thought bluetongue and EHD were same and hosted from deer to deer by the midge?
    I'm in Oklahoma, what state are you guys discussing these die-offs mainly?
    Maybe the drought has reduced the midge and EHD in Okla. weather has been very mild, no winter yet, just couple of frosts.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    [/quot
    I thought bluetongue and EHD were same and hosted from deer to deer by the midge?
    Maybe the drought has reduced the midge and EHD in Okla. weather has been very mild, no winter yet, just couple of frosts.

IL.

When I speak of it, it's all Blue Tongue. They both the same to me. Both end up with dead deer.
    edited November -1
    Very similar but different. Every deer we had for necropsy were EHD positive, Non were BTV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetongue_disease

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epizootic_Hemorrhagic_Disease
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    [/quot

Drought fuels EHD cause the Midge breeds in the mud, when creeks stop flowing your left with hella breeding grounds for the midge.
    I worked on a BTV study with a DR. that was trying to collect information on the midge. I also currently work were dead animals are necropsied to determine the cause of death. For those that dont know a Necropsy is the same as an Autopsy but it is performed on animals or Non human species