In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old vs. New Style Vaquero & Suggestion for SASS

HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
So, I bought an older style stainless 4-5/8 Vaquero, only to hear the announcement just a week later of Ruger's new more "Colt-like" smaller Vaqueros. I feel like I bought stale bread. I don't know how to explain it. I suspect that my older stlyle pistol has lost a lot of value because of this.

What do you think?

I also think SASS should have a one gun competition for beginners. I think it is asking much to expect new shooters to have two revolvers, rifle, and a shotgun just to get started.

Comments

• Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do, Hokkmike.

Do not feel bad about buying the Old Model Vaquero. I have eight right now and wouldn't buy a New Model. They don't fit my hands for squat and they are a weaker design than the originals, which share frame size with the Blackhawk. They don't make the New Model in 44 Mag due to the less robust specs. I have a pair of the 45 Bisley Vaqueros and love the fact that I can use them in competition and then load up some smoking hot heavy-bullet loads and go hunting. All my Vaqueros are accurate, as well. You will not be sorry you bought that gun, pard.

And the problem with a one-revolver category is that the stages would necessarily be different from the regular stages that require two handguns or they would require a reload on the clock. This would make for extra difficulty in scorekeeping as well. I can virtually guarantee that you would have multiple offers of a second gun to use during a match if you showed up with only one pistola. (When my wife and I first began shooting, we shared two revolvers, a shotgun, and a rifle...we always had folks offer the loan of guns so we didn't have to share.) Jump in and enjoy, pard!

[:D]
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been my experience that they (the SASS) shooters are about as friendly as you can get.
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eather one is good. It depends on your handsize. The thing about Ruger is they are one of the best gun makers around. Just because you baught the old model does not make it any less special or anything. The deal with the new models, slimer, refined hammer, and a bit easer to eject shells.
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Pete's sake, don't feel bad about having an older Vaquero. They feel a bit different and are heavier and a bit bigger than a Colt SAA or the new Vaquero (they won't fit in a holster for a Single Action Army), but they're rugged, reliable and super strong. You might also consider that since they've been discontinued, they're worth a bit more as a trade-in. I know a couple of people who are specifically looking for old model Vaqueros.