In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1877 Lightning

wile326wile326 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Does anyone have any experiance with the 1877 Colt Lightning? I have always been intrigued with it but have never owned one. I shot a 51 colt replica now in cas and am thinking of adding a lightning to the collection. Thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original 1877 "Lightning" (.38) and
    "Thunderer" (.41) revolvers were double
    action. They (and the 1878 model) got a
    well-deserved reputation as "gunsmith specials"
    due mainly to their delicate mechanisms.
    The current crop of 1877 lookalikes are
    single action peacemakers modified with
    a birdshead grip. If the birdshead style
    appeals to you, there's nothing wrong with
    them, though an 1873 Single Action Army would
    be essentially identical to your current Model
    '51 Navy's grip, and might be a more comfortable
    transition.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Thunderer was made in 1900 and it fires and cycles great. Once in an while it will stall and the cylinder will not cycle, but a crisp snap of the trigger straightens it out. I broke the loading gate and replaced it but it is a great gun to shoot. Be careful of the ammo you buy.

PJ
  • wile326wile326 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I am going to look for an original lightning. I cast and reload for the 38 lc round now so I think it would be a good addition to the collection.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can shoot long and short out of that thing you know.

PJ

quote:Originally posted by wile326
    I think I am going to look for an original lightning. I cast and reload for the 38 lc round now so I think it would be a good addition to the collection.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few Thunderers that I load only with black powder. They are great fun. I only have a couple of Lightnings and haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. A few years ago I thought these were ugly guns, but I have learned to appreciate their unique beauty, can't get enough of them now! Emery