In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger New Vaquero

edoodyedoody Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have heard but not confirmed the Ruger New Vaquero is all but impossible to come by due to factory problems with the cylinders?? What has been the experience of those lucky enough to own and shoot the NEW Ruger offering??

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I got an early stainless model with 4 5/8" barrel. There was a problem with the internal lock mechanism and it was recalled. Ruger fixed the problem and factory-tuned it for me. I had it back in about 2 weeks. It's slicker than greased lightning and every bit as nice as a Colt SAA. I wish I had bought a pair but it was the only one I could find. I had a pair of elkhorn grips made for it and it's my favorite SAA. Good luck in finding one and, if you do, you'll love it!
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey spider is there anyway to tell if the gun has this problem? I have two and love them but have had problems getting grips. Also if you find these guns and you realy want them get them. I got lucky and found two stainless 5 1/2 45LC that are great.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I have a stainless vaquaro with the bisley grip in 45 LC 5 1/2" barrel. Never had any timing problems with it. Is this just the more recent guns that are giving problems?

Mine is a heck of a fun shooter. Easy to reload the 45 LC and relaxing to shoot
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by knightrider
    Hey spider is there anyway to tell if the gun has this problem? I have two and love them but have had problems getting grips. Also if you find these guns and you realy want them get them. I got lucky and found two stainless 5 1/2 45LC that are great.

Ruger's Newport, NH facility handles reppairs for revolvers. You can call them at 603-865-2442 with your serial numbers and they'll tell you if they're on the recall list. If so, they'll send you a prepaid packing slip (if you ask for it) and ship your gun back to you in about 2 weeks.
  • Lee WebberLee Webber Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if this same problem ever existed with the old model Vaquero? I have one in 40 S&W caliber that I bought just to keep awhile and then sell, Ruger techs tell me there were only 1000 manufactured. It hasn't been fired, it left the factory around Feb 08, 2001. I would also like to know what it is worth, since it's not listed in the 'Blue Book' or any other books I've looked at.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lee Webber
    Does anyone know if this same problem ever existed with the old model Vaquero? I have one in 40 S&W caliber that I bought just to keep awhile and then sell, Ruger techs tell me there were only 1000 manufactured. It hasn't been fired, it left the factory around Feb 08, 2001. I would also like to know what it is worth, since it's not listed in the 'Blue Book' or any other books I've looked at.

The "old" Vaqueros don't have internal locks. I'm talking about the lock inside the grip frame that you turn with a key to keep your kids from playing "Wyatt Earp" with daddy's six-shooter. Ruger installed them on the Vaquero and P345 to keep the gun-hating liberal states happy.
  • Keno SlimKeno Slim Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys' having problems getting grips for the NMV try out www.klamathriverwoodworks.com Awesome stuff!
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I lock mine up in a fireproof safe. Don't want the wind up keys on my guns, if I have a choice. Everyone should have a safe of some kind to keep out the kids or others intent on mischief.
    edited November -1
    Uh-oh...you're supposed to keep the GUNS in the safe??? [:0]

I'd better let the kids out!!! [;)]
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back to the topic...

Has anybody seen a New Vaquero in a chain store like Sportsman's Warehouse? I have not, and they even told me that they have not received one in over a year. I have only found one gun store in the Reno area that actually had a New Vaquero in stock. The other gun stores claimed that they had been recalled or discontinued.
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rumor has it that the gun maybe recalled or even discontinued due to certain problems however if you are like me a have one, hold on to it. This is one of the best Rugers I have ever shot, plus if they decide to discontinue it, it becomes more valuable and sought after. Personally I will continue to shoot it because that is what it was made to do and that is why I bought it.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Uh-oh...you're supposed to keep the GUNS in the safe??? [:0]

I'd better let the kids out!!! [;)]

[:D]
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I am in the minority but I bought a stainless sherifs model in highly polished stainless steel and in 45 Colt. I don't like it at all!! with BP dup loads it shoots a foot low at 20yds. Groups are huge, about 8 inches ( I do 1.5" with my Taurus). The cyl locks up somtimes and so does the trigger. That plow handle cuts my hand and hurts. When empty the gun has this real funky hollow cheap sound when operated. This is an expensive pos. It's outta here. I have other Rugers I love but not this one.