In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CVA 32. CAL SQUIRREL RIFLE

TAKEMNOWTAKEMNOW Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
JUST BOUGHT THIS GUN NEW. WHEN BENCH SIGHTING IN AT 20 YARDS, HAVING DIFFICULTY GETTING ANY CONSISTENT SHOT GROUP. CLEANING IT
AFTER EVERY SHOT. USING BORE BUTTER.

I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE 2 BALL SIZES FOR THIS RIFLE? DOES ONE SHOOT ANY BETTER THAN ANOTHER? WHAT IS THE PROPER POWDER LOAD FOR THIS PIECE?

THANKS, TAKEMNOW

Comments

• chigerchiger Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,

Couple suggestions, besides take off the cap lock. ;~) And I'm assuming the gun will be used for fuzzy tail hunting, 40 yards in.

First, always fire at least 2 caps before you load a freshly cleaned barrel. Dries the ignition and charge chambers. VERY important for consistent ignition.

Second, use Thompson Center patches if you can. They are thicker with a better weave. If you already are, go to the bigger size ball. May have to go back to CVA patches if it's too tight to seat though. If you are still having trouble and using patches for a 36 cal or something, take a sharp knife and trim the excess above the ball.

Third, pre-soak the patches in a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 Joy or some other liquid dish washing detergent. Eliminates the need to clean between shots and reduces fowling. Just drain/squeeze/shake off the excess before you use um.

Forth, start with 25 or 30 grains of loose powder, shoot 5 rounds and step it up in 5 or 10 grain increments (which ever is the minimum your charger will adjust) until you get the best group at 25 yards. Use one of your pre-soaked patches and then a dry one to swab out after each five shot group. Don't forget to fire a couple caps each time.

And Fifth, make sure you are getting the ball seated the same way every time by making a temporary mark after the first load and then checking to make sure it seats to the same place with every load. Even if you have to bump the ram rod against a pole or tree a little. Once you have an accurate load, make the mark permanent.

Hope you get it straightened out. That gun should group an 1" or less at 25 yards with the right load in my experience. And it will shoot better the more rounds you send down range.

chiger,
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are neat little guns. I have a new unassembled kit for one in my garage. Had it for longer than I care to admit. Got to at least start on it as soon as I get caught up on a couple of other projects.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Between shots run a patch soaked with the cheapest alcohol money can buy - then a dry patch. That's simple and cheap - using alcohol is all the cleaning you will ever need to do - oil before putting away for the day. Try it, you'll like it
  • TAKEMNOWTAKEMNOW Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHIGER, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MAKE ALL THOSE SUGGESTIONS.

I WILL FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.

LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT.

YES, I AM HOPEFUL OF COMING UP WITH A DECENT ENOUGH SHOT GROUP TO HARVEST A FEW MISSOURI SQUIRRELS....

TAKEMNOW

quote:Originally posted by chiger
    Hey,

Couple suggestions, besides take off the cap lock. ;~) And I'm assuming the gun will be used for fuzzy tail hunting, 40 yards in.

First, always fire at least 2 caps before you load a freshly cleaned barrel. Dries the ignition and charge chambers. VERY important for consistent ignition.

Second, use Thompson Center patches if you can. They are thicker with a better weave. If you already are, go to the bigger size ball. May have to go back to CVA patches if it's too tight to seat though. If you are still having trouble and using patches for a 36 cal or something, take a sharp knife and trim the excess above the ball.

Third, pre-soak the patches in a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 Joy or some other liquid dish washing detergent. Eliminates the need to clean between shots and reduces fowling. Just drain/squeeze/shake off the excess before you use um.

Forth, start with 25 or 30 grains of loose powder, shoot 5 rounds and step it up in 5 or 10 grain increments (which ever is the minimum your charger will adjust) until you get the best group at 25 yards. Use one of your pre-soaked patches and then a dry one to swab out after each five shot group. Don't forget to fire a couple caps each time.

And Fifth, make sure you are getting the ball seated the same way every time by making a temporary mark after the first load and then checking to make sure it seats to the same place with every load. Even if you have to bump the ram rod against a pole or tree a little. Once you have an accurate load, make the mark permanent.

Hope you get it straightened out. That gun should group an 1" or less at 25 yards with the right load in my experience. And it will shoot better the more rounds you send down range.

chiger,
  • srm970srm970 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i also have one of these little rifles. .they are great. hope you get yours diled in.. for me .31 ball.. 35grains of pyro P.. very acruate for me..
  • littlegunlittlegun Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one and mine is very accurate I use 20 grains of pyrodex P and a .310 patched round ball. I did swap out the sights and put a full buckhorn with a shallow V cut in it.
  • littlegunlittlegun Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one more thing its alittle less than 20 grains because I use a black powder measure set a 20 and I believe pryodex is a little lighter than black powder
  • more guns 2more guns 2 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My CVA .32 squirrel likes a thin patch around .013". Spit patch and use 20 grains of FFF Goex. This works good for squirrels and 25 yard target shooting. I use a little hold over for 50 yards.