In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington genesis ?

tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
does anyone have one of these in 50 cal. how do they shoot, how are they. thanks

Comments

• bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had one for a year. Put about 100 385gr maxi balls threw
    it with 85gr loose powder. Its good to 100 yards. Never had a
    problem with it.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was a brand new Genisis barrel. I understand the same barrels are used on some CVA and Tradition's rifles. My friend Lucky..(his middle name really is "Lucky")learned these barrels are not used in Europe because they are not "proofed" but US standards allow them?

Here is an excerpt from an email he cc'd to me after the accident:
    "When the new barrel arrived, I cleaned it until the last patch was completely white and installed it on the gun. I ran a patch with a small amount of Bore Butter down it, as I couldn't go to the range that day, and stored it in the original box that the genesis came in. Two days later I went to the range. I ran a dry patch down the barrel and then fired 2 Remington 209 primers. I had planned on hunting with 120 grains of FFG triple 7 powder. I decided to just use 100 grains until I got on paper with the new barrel. I have a 100 grain spout on my flask, so I measured 100 grains and poured it down the barrel. I lubed a 348 grain Powerbelt and started it. Using the ramrod, I pushed the bullet down the barrel until I felt it engage the powder. I gave it a couple of firm taps and made sure that the ramrod was at the same measurement out of the barrel as it had been when I shot the gun previously.( Even with my 3rd finger). I then went to the bench inserted a 209 primer and fired. You see the result of the barrel. I spent the next 4 hours in the ER and have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon"

ML_Injury.jpg
    Rem_Genesis1.JPG
    Rem_ML.JPG
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to know more about this accident, wouldn't remington be responsible? also if if was new why was he putting another new barrel on it? thank you and hope he is alright.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After some range work with the old barrel, he was unable to remove the breech plug. After soaking the barrel in hot water (recommended by Mfg.) he finally got the plug out but feared he had damaged the plug. He had them send a new barrel and plug. I understand he has an attorney that specializes in accidents like this one.
    Here is a bit more info on soft ML barrels.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/unsafe_muzzleloaders.htm
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went ahead and bought one. I took it out of box and cleaned it and put knight breech plug grease on breechplug and took it out to sight it in. using 240 grain bullets and 90 grains of american pioneer I had it sighted in after 8 shots. I really like the way it handled and grouped. I then took it home and was going to clean it. I started to take out the breech plug and finally had to get a socket and ratchet (the wrench provided wouldn't budge it.) I then cleaned it and put the plug back in with grease on every thread. It screws in and out easily. The next day I called remington and told them about it, they gave me a number and told me to call the company that makes them, it is TRADITIONS. I told the gunsmith about the plug and all that he said is that I was not using good grease and he had never heard of such a problem and said he had been gunsmithing there for over 5 years. So what should a person do now if I take it out and shoot it and the same thing happens. It sounded to me that both companies are just passing the buck.
  • KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using automotive anti-seize paste. This is the same stuff used for spark plugs. It's a little messy, but it works. Make sure you lube both the male & female threads. Been using it for a while, never had a problem with getting the breech plug out. A word of caution, don't use too much on the plug near the breech plug face. You might force the grease onto the breech plug face, and maybe into the primer hole, or worse all over the inside of the barrel where it will cause a misfire. This happened to me in the beginning, after that I learned to use a little less.