In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

black powder shot gun

bjsgear@hotmail.combjsgear@hotmail.com Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
just got an old muzzle loader today, would like to shoot it next weekend at the hunt camp. its a 12 ga size percussion cap. what powder and shot should i buy to try this out ,thanks in advance, bryanps, its a backlock action.

Comments

• surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's safe to shoot, any size shot will do, with either FFg or FFFg powder (the finer FFFg will kick harder and produce slightly higher pressure). For the amount of each you need, a good starting load is 1 1/8 ounce of shot and about 3 drams of powder (3 drams = about 81 grains weight). An old rule of thumb was that the volume (NOT weight!) of shot and powder should be about equal. I suggest you get either a Lee powder measure kit or an old adjustable shot/powder dipper to measure your charges. You can use just about anything for wadding (I've used wads of newsprint), but be aware that wad material other than card or composition may be a fire hazard. Most likely, #10 or #11 caps will fit your percussion shotgun.
  • NJCRaiderNJCRaider Member Posts: 67
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surbat6
    If it's safe to shoot, any size shot will do, with either FFg or FFFg powder (the finer FFFg will kick harder and produce slightly higher pressure). For the amount of each you need, a good starting load is 1 1/8 ounce of shot and about 3 drams of powder (3 drams = about 81 grains weight). An old rule of thumb was that the volume (NOT weight!) of shot and powder should be about equal. I suggest you get either a Lee powder measure kit or an old adjustable shot/powder dipper to measure your charges. You can use just about anything for wadding (I've used wads of newsprint), but be aware that wad material other than card or composition may be a fire hazard. Most likely, #10 or #11 caps will fit your percussion shotgun.
    [:D]
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen several of surbat's responses,. and dat boy got it. I agree with his answers on every subject including this one.
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the kind words, Oldgunner.