In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do you remove the breech plug?

marsyemarsye Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
Is there anyway to remove the breech plug if you don't have the plug wrench? I don't want to go buy one :-)

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The breech plugs on the traditional side locks aren't made to be removed by the owner. If you're talking about an in-line, you can do it with whatever wrench you can get on it and turn, but you'll likely need the proper breech plug wrench to be able to0 get at it.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think about it = never needs to be done. you can clean very well with it in place. I have been shooting the same Hawken for more than 30 years, still groups better than I can hold. Never had the plug out, never will.
  • marsyemarsye Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually I was trying to figure out how to unload one without having to shoot it out because I live in town. I just didn't want to have buy anything just one time to unload it. :-) I don't know anything about muzzle loaders.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a bullet puller. It's a corkscrew looking thingy that screws into your ram rod. You stick it in the barrel, screw it into your bullet and yank him out. Or..Just leave it loaded for next years deer season. It will still be fine. However, if you go that route, keep it in a safe place with no primer on the nipple!!
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is a local black powder club nearby, see if someone there has the CO2 unloader. Lacking this, remove the nipple and screw a Zirk grease fitting in and pump grease in. Makes a bit of a mess to clean, but usually works. Also, sometimes you can use an air compressor and short bursts; just be sure to have the muzzle pointing in a SAFE direction! A ball puller is perhaps the cheapest and fastest method. Emery