In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thor Muzzleloading Bullets

winch_warriorwinch_warrior Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
Anyone have the chance to try these yet? What do you think? Good/bad?

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak to the Thor.
    I see that they are all-copper.

The Savage smokeless muzzleloader guys have been having great success with the Barnes all copper slugs. These are used with a sabot.
  • winch_warriorwinch_warrior Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm limited to conicals and round balls in Colorado for big game hunting. The Powerbelts don't expand and tear things up on an elk from my personal experience. I'm shooting my T/C Triumph with Hornady Great Plains bullets and they shoot, expand and retain most of their weight when recovered from an elk. They are tried and true, but limited to a lead .385 grain bullet for the .50 cal. I just want a 21st century bullet for my 21st century muzzleloader thats legal in Colorado. Sabots are not legal here. I know there is better out there.....just not sure what? These Thor bullets just caught my attention since they are made by Barnes[:D]
    edited November -1
    One reason the Savage guys like the all copper Barnes slugs is that they perform great on big animals like elk.
    I imagine the Thor would do the same.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Winch Warrior: Are Power Belt Bullets considered Sabots in CO? They are similar in Idea, but quite different in actuality. They Got a Patent on them....If they were Sabots, then the Patent would have been denied. Are Power Belts Specifically denied in CO?

www.powerbeltbullets.com

....guess you can see I didn't read the whole thread!

- nevermind -
    edited November -1
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I missed this one, I order the sizing pack from them I can't wait to see if the encore likes them (it liked the barns x bullets)

Deer did not
    edited November -1
    WAHOO!

4 sample bullets arrived yesterday

these things look flip'n MEAN!
    edited November -1
    Seams the encore will take the .502 and .503, the .503 might be a bugar to seat with a fouled bore

now I need to decide if 22.95 + s&h is worth it

FYI the .500 fell right through it and the .501 slid in like a maxi ball
  • nuprofessornuprofessor Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it is alittle late to respond, but I use them and HIGHLY recommend them. I have harvested 2 deer (does), 2 hogs, and 1 cow buffalo. All were complete pass throughs. One hog (about 140# boar) was hit thru the shoulder and spine creating a devastating wound channel. With the exception of the buffalo, each animal dropped at the shot. The cow went about 40 yards (lung shot). I plan to use them again this year.
    Just wondering if these are legal under the Colorado rules because they are full bore?
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by winch_warrior
    I'm limited to conicals and round balls in Colorado for big game hunting. The Powerbelts don't expand and tear things up on an elk from my personal experience. I'm shooting my T/C Triumph with Hornady Great Plains bullets and they shoot, expand and retain most of their weight when recovered from an elk. They are tried and true, but limited to a lead .385 grain bullet for the .50 cal. I just want a 21st century bullet for my 21st century muzzleloader thats legal in Colorado. Sabots are not legal here. I know there is better out there.....just not sure what? These Thor bullets just caught my attention since they are made by Barnes[:D]

I also use the Hornady Great Plains and I do have the option of sabots here in Virginia, but the HGP is more accurate and reliable for me. I have owned several modern inlines and have tried every sabot on the market and cannot get the consistency that I get from HGP bullets. I'll stick with what works for me. [:D]
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I've mentioned these Hornady muzzleloader bullets on here before.

I'm goin to try these hollow base, no sabot, copper jacketed bullets this year in my T/C Hawken. They come 300gr and 350gr.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-300-gr-FPB/