In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1851 navy colt

gjenn3gjenn3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have a 1851 navy colt with a all blue frame and a square trigger guard the frame is chrome and the rest of the gun is blued.I'am not sure if it is a 2nd generation or 3rd and what it might be worth it was left by my father when he died I got it and know nothing about hand guns.

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, is it an original Colt or a clone? That would make a lot of difference.

Lool on the left side of the frame and it should say "Colt" on it if it is a real Colt. If it isn't it should have import stamps on it somewhere. Probably from Italy.

It would be hard to give a value without at least a picture. I'm not sure if any of the Colt's were all blue or not.

Bode
  • Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a pair like you describe, except for the trigger guard, mine were round. The grip frame and trigger guard was stainless. 8" octagon brl, wood grips, 44cal.

Look at Cabelas web site, and see if yours looks like the 51 Navy Civilian model. These are Italian made by Pietta.

http://cabelas.com/
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If it's a real Colt (it will say "Colt's Patent" on the frame and have the Colt address of NY on the barrel), that's silver plating and not chrome. If it has Sam Colt's signature on the backstrap, it's a 3rd generation. What's the serial number?