In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stuck breech plug

rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
I have recently aquired a Knight muzzle loader. The breech plug has not been removed for some time (10 years) and will not budge. Are there any tricks to getting it out? WD40 for a week? heat it up?

I would like to convert it to 209 primer.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would soak it in oil like WD, or liquid wrench, for a day or two maybe alternating the way it's standing in the corner. barrel up barrell down so on and so fourth that way you can get the oil into the stuck plug from both ends.

then if you can put a 3/8 impacted gun w/ exstention and socket on it and raddle it out. if you dont have a raddle gun whack the exstention with a hammer a couple time's keeping a constant turning pressure on it, this is similar to how an impact gun raddle's things lose.

also you could put it in the freezer over night then take it out and with a propane torch warm up the out side of the barrel around the breech. and then try the raddle gun again. dont get the outside to hot or the heat will transfer into the breech plug and it will exspand along with the barrel. if you use the freezer method dont use WD it is water based and will freeze, use liquid wrench.

if you don't put it in the freezer. you would have to use a cutting torch to get the outside of the breech hot enough to exspand faster than the stuck plug, this would for sure take the case hardening out of the the barrel. and cause it to become weak i don't recomend this.

disclaimer i can and will not be held liable for any loss or damage of any personal property or * injury[;)]
  • Options
    rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let it soak in Kroil for a couple days and it came out. threads were good. no rust. 209 replacement went right in.

Thanks
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't touch a heat gun to any part of a gun. Remember what happens when you do that to a knife? You change the molecular structure of the metal. You can ruin a knife's ability to hold an edge. I wouldn't use a heat gun. That thing could blow up in your face.