In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 long colt ammunition

danjkolbdanjkolb Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
Does anyone in the world have any .45 Long Colt Ammo? I just bought a Ruger New Vaquero and I can't even get ammo for it for another two months (and that's only estimated time). who is responsible for me not having any ammo? whoever has purchased the worlds supply of .45 long colt will you please sell me some so I can shoot my new gun? Please? If anyone can get me in touch with someone who will reload me some rounds I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• AQUAINFLAQUAINFL Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several people have .45 COLT[.45lc]at gunbroker auctions ,or try buying outright at Cabela's[:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • danjkolbdanjkolb Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah 150+ dollars for 50 rounds on gunbroker is a little inflated. I called cabelas and they said no stores have it on the shelf. The wait times there were the shortest I think. 2-3 weeks (estimated) they can't actually give you a time. I think I am out of luck.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a bad time to be looking. Besides the regular ammo shortage going on, all the CAS shooters who don't reload are buying up all the available 45 Colt for upcoming matches. April and May have always been tight for 45 Colt ammo for the last dozen years or so.
    Brass, bullets, and primers are also sold out at most places I checked, so it won't help for me to tell you it's a good time to start reloading either.
    Looks like you're the last guy to the party, sorry.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Thanks for the info. There is someone who thinks they can find me a box so thanks to them too. It never occurred to me that I couldn't just go buy some ammo. very sad. [:(]
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems that if you're going to buy a handgun you need to look for ammo first. Thinking about getting a 38, but ordered the ammo first. I'll buy the gun latter. I did see some 44-40 ammo at Scheels last weekend, but that doesn't help you. Have you tried Sportsmans guide? They were my main source for 45lc untill I started reloading.
    edited November -1
    yeah, my new vaquero was more of an impulse buy. it was 40% off. i said i'll take it. i also got a t/c encore pro hunter camo frame while i was at it. i got both of them for less than the new vaquero retails for. [8D]
    sportsmans guide is pushing two weeks or so estimated last i checked. ill just have to get my order in and wait it out. i'm supposedly stumbling upon a reloader soon, but i know nothing about it. it will probably be a pain to find the parts to reload 45lc too!
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Primers are going to be the problem there. I put a order for primers in with Cabela's at their catalog center & they told me 2 weeks. I'm not out yet but don't want to take a chance.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They had all kinds of it in Gander Mt. in Rochester Minn. today.
  • old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    how much did u pay for the new vaquero?
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO,almost nobody buys 45colt ammo ,so it's a low production item,so most stores never have much if any on hand.Reloading 'was' the way to go,but I can't find any primers of any kind locally,very little pwoder. :(
    This no ammo/no supplies situation is starting to get very very annoying !

Hope ya find some ammo,you'll like shooting your new six gun.
  • D.DelozierD.Delozier Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got into reloading myself for just that reason, bought a conversion cylinder for a 58 NMA remington and could not find cowboy 45 loads in stock anywhere. But luckily found a fellow here in SC who deals in nothing but reloading supplies,operates out of his home/shop he ansewered all my newbee questions and sent me on my way set up to load 45 colts for less than 120.00 lee hand press dies scale loading block 100 brass 100 bullets and a can of trail boss powder 100 primers. Thats just a bit more than 100 factory cowboy loads would have cost me. Just went back today a bought 400 more bullets,100 more brass and 1000 primers.He's not out of any thing,got stuff stacked to the ceiling,and he aint gouging folks either!! I've never reloaded anything before always thought it was to complicated,but this fellow broke it all down to the basics for me,set me up on a tight budget and off I went,took me less than 1 hour to make my 1st 100 rounds wish I would have started this years ago.You should look into it to.
  • WCallisterWCallister Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found the best price for >45 Colt ammo is at www.sportsmansguide.com Great prices (around 50 cents per round), for the Cowboy action loads. They also offer, if you are a member of their club, a 5% discount, and a free, no-interest 4-payment plan (if over $150). I'm not a rep for them, just a very satisfied customer. Also, I found Cabelas to be a good store for reloading equipment. I got a deal on a set on eBay, and then I got all the supplies at Cabelas.
    edited November -1
    I paid 312 for the New Vaquero 7.5in 45 Colt. new in box. Sounds like reloading is the way to go. I will have to get a book on the subject or find a reloading jedi to learn from. I'm sure the guy trying to sell me his reloading equipment can educate me. wcallister i think you meant www.sportsmansguide.com lol. It does seem like the best deal on the net right now, they even have coupons online, i think i saw one for money off shipping, and money off an order even if you aren't in the buyers club. The other site looks like spam.
    I haven't tried gander mountain yet, that's my next stop. I know they dont have anything online.
  • tnh2owadertnh2owader Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just received 2 boxes of Winchester Silvertips yesterday that
    I had on backorder from Midway USA for 6 weeks.[:0]
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected. Thanks, dan. I don't know why I wrote guild. I knew it was Guide. Sounds like you got an awesome deal on the ruger. Mine was a bit over $400, used, at Cabela's. I love mine, and I reload. I usually shoot Magtech Cowboy Action Loads (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=349790). I reloaded with Magtech bullets (45 Colt LFlat 250 GR), CCI Primers (300 Large Pistol), Trail Boss powder (4.5 gr), and the spent brass from my used Magtech rounds. I didn't notice much difference, except that the primers, bullets and powder only cost about 20 cents.
    edited November -1
    Anybody tried the 22 conversion cylinders for 45 LC? I first saw them at Sportsmans Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cowboy-22-conversion.aspx?a=471503), but have seen mixed reviews. I figure .22 shells would be a far more cost effective way to shoot my Ruger Vaquero.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danjkolb
    yeah, my new vaquero was more of an impulse buy. it was 40% off. i said i'll take it. i also got a t/c encore pro hunter camo frame while i was at it. i got both of them for less than the new vaquero retails for. [8D]
    sportsmans guide is pushing two weeks or so estimated last i checked. ill just have to get my order in and wait it out. i'm supposedly stumbling upon a reloader soon, but i know nothing about it. it will probably be a pain to find the parts to reload 45lc too!

It's not too hard to find the 45 LC parts. I'd recommend buying some rounds, and then using the brass to reload, simply because the brass is probably going to be the most difficult to find.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Good-quality and decently-priced brass is available from Starline. Bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. or Chey-Cast are reasonable, available, and of excellent quality, and powder is at Graf, Midway, and others. None of them have ever back-ordered any of these things on me. They can all be Googled. Primers would be the only potential problem.

Compare bullet prices when looking elsewhere, because these vary wildly. Some casters charge as much, or more, as factory jacketed softnose bullets cost. This is absurd. Missouri Bullet has .45's in the 7-to-9 cents range, and they stock most bullets in various hardnesses as well.

As I posted in another thread, I recently got into a 38-40 and my hair almost went white when I saw the ammo prices. The cure was simply to buy the dies and components, and amortized out, 10 boxes of 38-40's cost about $20 per 50. The next, and subsequent, reloads on these cases will be about $6.50 per 50, right at what the .45's cost me.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    Good-quality and decently-priced brass is available from Starline. Bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. or Chey-Cast are reasonable, available, and of excellent quality, and powder is at Graf, Midway, and others. None of them have ever back-ordered any of these things on me. They can all be Googled. Primers would be the only potential problem.

I would recommend trying to fnd powder and primers locally. I can't confirm, on the primers, but I know there is often an extra charge for shipping black powder, as a hazardous material. Ironically, I didn't have the same problem with ammunition itself, just with powder.
  • ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two words. Lee Loader. Getcherself a kit from Cabellas for about 20 denaros. It comes with instructuions. Read 'em. Go buy your shells, primers, powder, and bullets after study. Shoot your single action and feel the satisfaction of firing your own rounds!
    edited November -1
    so do more people cast their own bullets, or is it cheaper or less troublesome to buy the lead bullets online or locally? I was thinking i could get a mold and pick up some lead from the range and recycle it by pouring my own.
    edited November -1
    I don't know. I've been considering the same thing (casting my own bullets). It seems to me that it would be FAR simpler to buy, but much more rewarding, and possibly less expensive, to cast my own. I've seen bulk lead for sale on Gunbroker.com It seems to be east to find, if you have contact with hospitals that are renovating their X-Ray areas.
    edited November -1
    where did you pull that deal off from?
  • ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did anybody mention the Lee Loader yet? 20 denaros or so from Cabellas and you can reload your own 45 ammo one round at a time. It's a cheap fun way to learn about reloading.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All forum members should name their town & state. We are a sharing bunch of guys. I wouldn't mind helping you out with a box of reloads, if I got the brass back. I recently prepared the cases, and reloaded 72 rounds of 7 Mauser for a friend who doesn't reload. However he does have a bass boat and I like to fish. I live 100 miles north of Reno, Nevada. [:D][:D]Eddie
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to cast my own bullets....even with the lead or wheel weights near $1/pound, that's over 35 bullets per pound (large pistol, etc). 350 bullets for $10 as opposed to $18-$20 for 50 commercial.
  • kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have some 45 colts i can spare. seems my local dealer has plently of brass. Kevin
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To 38-40 shooters:
    44-40 brass with one pass through a 38-40 sizer produces a perfect 38-40
    brass.
  • teraplanezteraplanez Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must have all the luck, along with a few others. About 6-9 months ago, I bought a New Walther .380; NO AMMO AVAILABLE. I just bought a new .45 Long Colt; NO AMMO AVAILABLE. WHAT GIVES ? This doesn't make sense. These are two of the most popular Calibers for the past THOUSAND YEARS yet the ammo is in shortage mode. If I can get funding, I'm going to open an ammo FACTORY ! Those are the guys with the money AND power ! I guess I can THROW my guns at the bad guys when they come. I'm glad I have plenty of 12 Gauge BUCK SHOT on hand. That always works.
  • darkvader44darkvader44 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call "Redline Ballistics" in San Diego
    619/280-9763 (or) www.redlineballistics.com

I'm not from the government; I'm here too help!
    sass #84431
  • TexastobyTexastoby Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try this: http://shop.cccammo.com
    I would call this guy. I have bought a 1000 rds from him about 2 years ago and was very well satisfied.
    Texas Toby
  • learjettlearjett Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 45LC ammo, look under learjett and see my auctions
  • brywmsbrywms Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have aquired some Winchester .45 Colt Cowboy Action. Check my auctions. brywms
  • dodgeman69dodgeman69 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big reason is the judges came out and everybody was buying them I have a uberti 45 long colt run into the same problem as you.
    edited November -1
    check out the auctions here several people listing 45lc at around $35 a box of 50
    edited November -1
    If you want I have a new in box never used Lyman 310 for 45lc handle included NEW along with 18 empty cart,[Winchester]$75 shipped
    wolf50@cox.net
  • StasiuStasiu Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been trying to get 45 LC for 9 mo
    Tried Cabelas, Sportsmans Guide,Natchez, Midway, Bass Pro

Found 1 box @ a local gun shop I thought I would have to sell
    the house to buy the 1 box he had.
    Whats going on ?
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Stasiu
    I've been trying to get 45 LC for 9 mo
    Tried Cabelas, Sportsmans Guide,Natchez, Midway, Bass Pro

Found 1 box @ a local gun shop I thought I would have to sell
    the house to buy the 1 box he had.
    Whats going on ?

How much is too much on price? There are several on the auction side , seem to be around 32 a box.
  • flyingmanxflyingmanx Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought some Ultramax at Cabelas in Conn. yesterday but it was $32 for 50.
    Noone else in Ct had any either.
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "But luckily found a fellow here in SC who deals in nothing but reloading supplies"

WHERE is this place. I live in Myrtle Beach, and I have been looking for a reloading store. HELP!