In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What?????

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
A guy at work was trying to sell a Traditions Yukon. I was looking thru the book for it and it stated
" Note: Breech plugs will wear out over time and should be replaced periodically. We recommend that you purchase at least one extra breech plug for emergencies in the field or at the range. We recommend that you replace your breech plugs after every year and nipples after every hunting season."[:0]

Never heard of replacing them hardly at all let alone every year.

Comments

• KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not too familiar with this manufacture , but it seems to me that they (in a round about way) described a defect in their system, that this would be their solution and a disclaimer! don't know about you but I wouldn't appreciate a breech plug drilling me in the forehead! wouldn't bother with it myself. Good luck
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It does seem odd that a breechplug on a 200+ year old Brown Bess or Kentucky Rifle is still intact but a modern-made one needs to be replaced annually! [:0]
    edited November -1
    2nd that! , but then they do say " they don't make em' like they used to".
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They make them fine, they just sell them better than they used to.
    edited November -1
    Well coming from a background where I have built traditional borestuffers , I know that when you install a breech plug , you do so with exact effort to machine the plug so that it fits the barrel in a specific way , and you make a notch on the line so that one half of the notch is on the barrel and the other on the breech plug , so that if loosens up you can see it and correct it , taking a breech plug out for whatever reason reduces the integrity of the connection , and most people that have a breech plug accident either get severely injured or even killed . So if you can avoid removing and installing the breech plug , you lower the odds of a failure . just make sure you clean your gun correctly. Like the topic started with this is what the manufacture's book stated ," Breech plugs will wear out over time and should be replaced periodically. We recommend that you purchase at least one extra breech plug for emergencies in the field or at the range. We recommend that you replace your breech plugs after every year and nipples after every hunting season." That is nothing but a disclaimer.!!!
    [xx(]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Black Diamond has a breech plug intended to be removed for cleaning. Golly, maybe I better replace it every year. Naw, my witness mark still lines up perfectly, it will last another decade or two!
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman Hawken rifle I bought more than 30 years ago - never had a reason to remove the plug. I shot it a lot too. I just clean from the muzzle - used to use hot water and detergent but for the last few years I just use cheap alcohol then oil it.