In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

'Real' black powder needs

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
My nephew is getting involved in some Civil War period activities. Demonstrations would better describe his activity than re-enactments would. Mock encampments, re-creation of daily tasks, clothing, battle gear, arms, etc. etc.

Since I reload modern ammo he asked where he could find black powder. I mentioned a shop in town, and he said he was looking for "real blackpowder" not a blackpowder substitute. To me, the substitute would seem to be much better, but he is still searching.

I know very little about blackpowder so any response would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck to him. Real BP gets harder to find every day. In fact, he might not find it. But the substitutes are perfectly fine. Better in some ways.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he's hooking up with a re-enactor group, the real BP would be preferred. He should ask someone in the group where they get theirs, they probably do a group buy to keep costs down. It is readily available mail order, though there is a haz-mat fee. Do a google search for black powder dealers. Try Graf Brothers. Also, call all the gunshops in the area to see if they have any.
    I used to use subs, but have switched to all real BP in the last two years and am greatly pleased with it. Have him check other black powder forums on CAS websites like cascity.com
  • Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Graf and Sons sells both Goex and a house brand of black powder (the Graf brand is excellent, BTW). They charge Haz-Mat, but no shipping...only $3.75 handling/insurance for any size order and they don't have a minimum.

For larger orders, Powder Inc. is a good source.

As for subs being better than real black...99% of that misconception is marketing hype. I loaded over 60 pounds of real black and various BP subs last year. The real stuff is just as accurate as the best sub (more accurate than most), cleans up more easily, is less corrosive than most of the subs, is easier on brass than the subs...well, you get the idea. One of the newest subs boasts "water-only cleanup" like that's some modern marvel. Guess what? BP has cleaned up with nothing but H2O for centuries. The only thing that can be said for subs is that they don't have the sulphur smell associated with BP that some people find offensive. I'd personally rather smell black powder smoke than cigarette smoke any day!

[:D]
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen brother! Most of the "corrosive" stories banging around out there about Black were from the days of corrosive primers, it wasn't the powder. I've let guns fired with BP sit for 2 weeks before cleaning and no corrosion. One year I let my main match rifle go from the last shoot in November till just before the first shoot in April, bore cleaned up bright and shiney. And I live in a humid climate. Nothing beats the real BP, unless you are looking for max velocity in a hunting rifle, then 777 works pretty good.
  • Ace HumboldtAce Humboldt Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell him to look at Track of the Wolf.They have a great website and sell real BP online.Up to 25 pounds.Believe it's Goex.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11th commandment -- Real black powder goes in black powder guns. Substitutes are good fertilizer. Amen